DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC8- Ruth Happel "Make Your Own Show" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/93544-dvc8-ruth-happel-make-your-own-show.html)

Ruth Happel May 8th, 2007 02:19 PM

DVC8- Ruth Happel "Make Your Own Show"

This is a feedback thread for my entry. It was shot on vacation in North Carolina, where I was when the contest started. I did the filming and editing, and my daughter was the star.

Mike Horrigan May 8th, 2007 03:12 PM

I thought this was pretty cute! You have quite the performer on your hands. :)

I also thought that some of the footage was stellar!

What camera did you use?

Mike

Bradley L Marlow May 8th, 2007 03:16 PM

Hi Ruth!

It's great to see you again and am so glad you entered.

I thought your daughter Robin was both fabulous and a doll. I loved her free spirit and pure sense of play. Bravo Robin! Terrific and fun!

Enjoyed your message too. Just get out there (away from the TV) and see it for yourself.

William Gardner May 8th, 2007 03:29 PM

Touching film and nice message. I particularly liked the footage of the ants on the hill. Was the bear footage yours?!

Bill

Hugh DiMauro May 8th, 2007 03:31 PM

Your images were stunning on my laptop screen and your star did a wonderful job. She has a future in movies.

Ruth Happel May 8th, 2007 03:42 PM

Mike-

Thanks for the comments. My daughter really likes to ham it up for the camera, so that works well for my videos. I shot with a Sony HC7- high def is new for me, so it's interesting learning to shoot and edit in a new way. But I like the detail, when it works.

Ruth Happel May 8th, 2007 03:44 PM

Hi William,

Thanks for the comments. All the footage was mine. The termites (look a lot like ants) was filmed when they were found after my daughter turned over a rock. The bears were shot in the Smoky Mountains national park. It was getting dark so the footage might be a bit noisy, but it was great having the opportunity watching them for close to an hour- along with about 20 others, since they were right by the main road down in a small ravine.

Ruth Happel May 8th, 2007 03:47 PM

Hi Bradley,

Thanks for the comments. Robin did so well as a bush, I thought it was time to put her on camera :)

DV Info is really getting me out with my video camera. The contests make me put it all together because of the deadlines- otherwise I find it easier just to collect footage. I've been shooting video for years, but this is the first time I'm really trying to put it together. I still remember your video from the first UWOL, that was my first video other than putting clips together, so I was impressed with what you did. I'll look forward to more videos from you.

Anders Risvold May 8th, 2007 11:33 PM

Very cute :)

Nice footage, and it also got me to think how different people make movies in these contests. From flesh eating zomies to girls enjoying life.

Its all part of the fun.

Lorinda Norton May 8th, 2007 11:39 PM

Nice use of an "alternative to TV" concept. Your daughter had some fresh ideas there. Also, I echo what others said about the beautiful footage you got of N. Carolina. That with the bears was wonderful!

Chris Barcellos May 8th, 2007 11:51 PM

Ruth:

Nice images with your new rig !! Ain't it great what we can do with these little cameras....

Did you have to use a close up lens on the termites ?

Jeff Hendricks May 9th, 2007 07:11 AM

That was very cute. I had a similar idea about my son's imagination...your piece stuck with me after I watched it.

Funny that you named her "wild child" this would have fit right in with the UWOL contest #3...

nice job

Ronn Kilby May 9th, 2007 08:50 AM

Well Ruth, she is (as my Mom used to say) a "real pistol." Reminds me a little of the girl on the Volvo commercial, her Dad's picking her up at school and she's just jabbering on and on - you can't help but laugh and want to squeeze her.

Nice camera work, great performance. Not to mention that you pulled it off on vacation.

Ruth Happel May 9th, 2007 09:16 AM

Thanks for all the comments.

Hugh- Glad you enjoyed it. And that it looked good. I am really impressed by hi-def, even in the low end consumer cameras.

Anders- I think that's what makes the contests especially fun- one theme, an infinite number of interpretations.

Lorinda- Working with my daughter is fun. She improvises so many great lines, in the few we've done together, she adds so much to it. Since it's mainly a one person show for me, it's really great working with her.

Jeff- I'm working with her now on something for UWOL 3, if we get it done in time. She is basically a wild child, so it won't be hard to come up with something similar.

Ronn- Yeah, that ad does remind me of her sometimes. Odd thing is, in general she is pretty serious. But in front of the camera- watch out!

Josh Johnson May 9th, 2007 09:28 AM

I really liked this one too. I mean the camera work and idea was great, but seeing a little girl dig in the dirt just confuses me. My daughter is so girly and afraid of dirt and bugs... I'd have to actually pay her to do the work your daughter did!