DVC 8 - Awakening at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old May 9th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #1
New Boot

DVC 8 - Awakening

Feedback forum for my entry, which should be one of our 5 on Thursday. Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions. First entry for DVC and I had a blast. Glad its over but excited for the next one....how is that possible?
Chris Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Nice work! I found it "slightly" preachy but I think that's what you were going for.

Maybe if we saw someone change their habits at the end that would have been a little more hopeful. As it stands I found it a little depressing... but a VERY good message!

Nice work.

Definitely left me thinking.

Cheers,

Mike
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Very nice work with the text effects, with the shot selections, cutting and effects. Definitely had a "pro" feel to it in these areas.

I will agree that it seemed a tad preachy for my tastes, and that the very dramatic music added a bit more to the preachiness for me. But the message is certainly right on target.

Nice work, and particularly nice first entry!
Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Wrangler

Wow, Chris—that was pretty powerful. The first minutes looked like something one would see on…um...television. :)

The facts you compiled were interesting, sobering. I have always felt bad about TV being used as a babysitter but didn’t give as much thought to the marriage side of it.

Very, very nicely done. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #5
Trustee

Your opening titles and music were fabulous. I also liked your New Age style of mood music throughout. I wholeheartedly agree with your message about kids and TV but... is this autobiographical? It isn’t that bad, is it? Amusing end titles. Well shot.
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #6
Major Player

Chris,

I really liked this one. Considering I despise television as it's used these days. I am glad that you took the time to compile these facts for us.

Thanks for waking us up!! Haha.
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks for the comments. I did mean for it to be on the depressing side. I couldnt come up with a positive way to say "We watch way to much TV and miss out on alot of lifes precious things..(i see this now with my little one)" I had thought of shooting a last scene where the "husband" and "wife" meet but decided to leave it alone. My message was, as he woke up from the dream, he then checked to see if his wifes picture was still there. After realizing he was dreaming, he then hurried off to find her.

I tried to base my video off the theme "Television", since 50% of the rating should come from this, so Dylan says. The fact that it is depressing may be due to the fact that it is true for alot of people. About the marriage thing, I wasnt trying to say Television caused divorces but more that the time people spend watching Television could be spent with Love ones, even the wife..;).

And lastly about the autobiography comment, were you asking if this is about me? If so the answer would be NO. I have a beautiful 19month old which gets all my time. I cant afford to watch TV or, like my video says, would miss out. This however could be true for anyone which if so I hope that this will help them understand how important Family is. Luckily we have seen a huge decrease in the amount of Televison america is watching...see http://tv.yahoo.com/news/article/urn..._viewers__ER:1

Again thanks to everyone thats viewed my Short and I hope to do many more. Sorry to have Awaken you..haha

Chris
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Chris!

Nicely done. I agree with much that has already been said. I thought you did a great job on "taking a position" and sticking to it.

Your research was fantastic! Also, I really liked the bride photo fading / fuzzing out. Care to share more on that?

Your credits...voind during football season. hahaha!
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #9
New Boot

Bradley..would love to share more on that part. What are you wanting to know? How it was done? What was the meaning?
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #10
Major Player

Yes Chris

I would like to know how it was done. Thank you. As for the meaning, I took it to suggest the amount of time couples spend in front of the TV (the guy in this case) can harm a relationship. Was that your intention?
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #11
New Boot

Bradley,

During that shot I had the True shot on the top layer which had no blur and just used the cookie cutter effect in Vegas to "cut out" the top layer so you could see the one below it. At the certain keyframe i began to open that cookie cutter and then blured the bottom layer out.

My intention was that the guy actually was dreaming of his Realationship "fading away". Then when he woke up he checked the photo to make sure it was still clear and there. Then he realized he was dreaming so he rushed off to find his wife.

Glad you watched the credits. I thought the "Void during football season" would make a nice ending to a serious film.

Last edited by Chris Barton; May 10th, 2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: one more thing..
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #12
Major Player

Thank you Chris!

Well done indeed! I appreciate your description and feel your choice in the scene was very good.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #13
Major Player

Cool montage, unique and interesting

I liked how we could not see the person (I am guessing the mom) walking past the baby, only the feet...really added to the feeling of the piece, and it touched me.

Nice job...thank you

Jeff
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #14
New Boot

montage...

We you refering to the opening scene (montage)? The feet was actually me. Madison (my daughter) very rarely falls asleep on the floor like that. I happened to be off that day and she was sick. When she feel asleep I thought this would be a nice shot. Glad you enjoyed it.
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #15
Major Player

I guess montage was a wrong chioce of words. But I was referring to how the piece was put togetehr as a collection of shots that were tied together with the messages...what ever the style is called, I really liked it.

Jeff

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!