The DVC/UWOL CHARITY CHALLENGE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old December 9th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Wrangler

The DVC/UWOL CHARITY CHALLENGE

You read it right, folks: The DV Challenge and The Under Water Over Land Challenge are teaming up for a holidays shootout!

It’s not really a competition between the two. It is a way for people in both contests to participate in one common-theme challenge while gathering as large a donation as we can for one worthy charity. That means we will vote on films from both forums’ submissions for ONE winner. The winner gets to choose which charity receives the donation. Those who submit a film as well as those who donate will judge the films. Guidelines for judging will be discussed later in the contest.

Dylan Couper will post donation info (how you can donate) on a separate thread in each forum. He’ll also keep the totals updated as the donations pour in. Remember, you don’t have to sign up for the challenge to donate, nor do you have to donate to sign up. If you can do both, that’s great!

Sign up begins right now and will remain open throughout the contest. The theme (hang onto your hats) will be announced this THURSDAY, DEC. 11. Films must be submitted by midnight, THURSDAY, JAN. 1, 2009. You have until next year to finish this one! ;)

Maximum film length is five minutes, with an extra 15-20 seconds or so allowed for credits. All other rules from the forum where you sign up apply to your film. (Choose one forum, you smart guys who are used to signing up for both!)

Time to get this show on the road. Sign up here!
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

Ok, so I lied! I cancelled December, but now we’re back in the game!

Only this time, with a twist…

You read it right, folks: The DV Challenge and The Under Water Over Land Challenge are teaming up for a holidays shootout!

It’s not really a competition between the two. It is a way for people in both contests to participate in one common-theme challenge while gathering as large a donation as we can for one worthy charity. That means we will vote on films from both forums’ submissions for ONE winner. The winner gets to choose which charity receives the donation. Those who submit a film as well as those who donate will judge the films. Guidelines for judging will be discussed later in the contest.

Dylan Couper will post donation info (how you can donate) on a separate thread in each forum. He’ll also keep the totals updated as the donations pour in. Remember, you don’t have to sign up for the challenge to donate, nor do you have to donate to sign up. If you can do both, that’s great!

Sign up begins right now and will remain open throughout the contest. The theme (hang onto your hats) will be announced this THURSDAY, DEC. 11
Films must be submitted by midnight, THURSDAY, JAN. 1, 2009. You have until next year to finish this one! ;)

Maximum film length is five minutes, with an extra 15-20 seconds or so allowed for credits. All other rules from the forum where you sign up apply to your film. (Choose one forum, you smart guys who are used to signing up for both!)
Time to get this show on the road. Sign up here!

A UWOL note: before you ask, yes you can apply up to 3 minutes worth of footage from the charity round to your potential long-form entry. So for those of you who wanted to get shooting right away, this will be a great opportunity to fire up your batteries and get out there.

Also, remember: your sign-up number on this thread is your upload number - we will stick to that convention, if you plan to upload to our website.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm in....
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Major Player

So we chose one forum to sign up in but it doesn't really matter which one we pick, right? Same theme and all, so it won't matter that I've signed up here if my film ends up being a bit on the outdoorsy side?

Sorry, I'm just over thinking it. Sign me up!!

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Wrangler

That's right, Kris. Same theme that you may interpret any way you like. :)

Sorry that the explanation wasn't the greatest, folks. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want. We'll work it out as we go and hopefully have a great time in the process!
Old December 9th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi DVC People!

I usually don't find myself over in these parts but just wanted to say "Hey" and I'll see if I can't get something put together over on the UWOL side.

I have no problems being out in the open filming a grizzly bear but have an actor say "how do you want to block this?" and I get chills all down my spine. :)
Old December 9th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #7
Trustee

Well, if I can get out of my driveway, I'll see if I can't put something together for this one.

Probably just another pretty picture film but hey, I like that stuff. :)

Course, it's not looking too pretty around these parts right now.
Old December 9th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #8
Major Player

I'm sure I'll scrap something together. Hopefully it'll have some quality.
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Blocking I can handle, it's how to get the grizzly to deliver a line that has me worried!

This should be a really interesting round. I'm sure that having the two camps in the same race will definitely push us all to go farther and higher than ever before but I don't envy the judges having to compare apples and oranges (not to mention the inevitable mutant cross-breed apporangles) and make a final decision. Good luck just getting all the ballots straight!

I admit I was a little hesitant at first - and even more so after viewing a few past UWOL entries - but there's no way I'm going to miss this one. For better or worse I'm in and I'll see you all at the red carpet/finish line!

-j
Jay Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Count me in!

This sounds like a really cool challenge.
Been sick for 6 weeks now (and counting...), but can't miss a chance to make a combined uwol/dv film.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I'm in. Yes.
Old December 9th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #12
Major Player

I will try again :)
Old December 9th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #13
Major Player

Looking forward to it...I'm in

Jeff
Old December 9th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback View Post
I have no problems being out in the open filming a grizzly bear but have an actor say "how do you want to block this?" and I get chills all down my spine. :)
The secret to working with actors, is making sure they get a chill down their spine, when you talk to them. Not sure if this works with grizzley bears...

Have all my days booked with either my kids, family or a prior film commitment (as an actor!) But maybe I can shoot something with my kids again. Either way, I will send a donation.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #15
Major Player

I am in, of course :)

Damn, *WHERE* is my hat???

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge