Cold Enough For Ya? -a snowboarding film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old December 12th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Wrangler

Cold Enough For Ya? -a snowboarding film

Dibs on this title! :)

Just kidding (not really)...

Since I'm not in prize contention, I'm going to discuss my film openly. I've always wanted to make a snowboarding film (since I've been doing it since about 1987). Just wondering if anyone else here has done any skiing/boarding videos, and if you have tips or suggestions.

I'm probably going to shoot the bulk of it on my HV20 with a small monopod stabilizer.
Old December 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Major Player

I have not done any snowboarding films. However, I just thought I'd mention that getting a skier/boarder POV shot to cut to once in a while would be interesting. They'd probably want something light like the ATC2K which is also shock/water-proof and inexpensive.

Last edited by Lisa Shofner; December 12th, 2008 at 05:14 PM.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #3
Major Player

I tried doing some skier POV stuff last winter, but didn't actually have a helmet cam, just was holding on to my little palmcorder. Not the right answer. The footage made me seasick when I went back to watch it. However, I bought my nephew a helmet cam for Christmas (shh, don't tell). I wonder how long I have to let him play with it before I steal it.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Hey!

I did a snowkiting film for the UWOL challenge in April - you can see it here White Lines - Snowkiting on Vimeo

POV shots are great, not that I used many i this film but I have downhilled with a wired helmet cam before with some pretty good results ( TBH have played with the current SD card helmet cams and they are little more than toys at the cheaper end ) , I got the kind that does full PAL res and allows you to change the lens - i got a very wide angle one which vignettes a bit, but at the same time feels less shaky because of the wideness of lens. I utilised that quite a lot in this kiting movie for onboard and pov shots : http://www.treborsnave.com/video/secondlaw.wmv

If you're going down this route, don't only think of having the helmet cam facing out from the helmet, try mounting it facing down, on an arm perhaps or even on the edge of the board.

Hope that helps is some way!

Rob
Rob Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge