Tales of wonder and woe: DVC/UWOL Charity Challenge at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old December 15th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Tales of wonder and woe: DVC/UWOL Charity Challenge

This is where we post what is going smooth, what is not exactly perfect, and everything else about the making of our videos.

Not sure about DVC, but this thread is standard procedure over in the UWOL world.
Keep the stories coming :)

And good luck making the videos everyone!
Remember: Have FUN!!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Wrangler

Well, for starters, I can't find two full days between now and Jan 1st to go shoot my snowboarding film, plus, none of the friends I ride with actually want to be IN it, which is also a problem. :)
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Wrangler

my main problem is, it's so freaking cold here!

or is that a problem, hmmmmmmm!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The cold weather we have had lately suddenly disappeared.
Meryem, any chance I could borrow some of your cold weather? :)
A vague plan is slowly getting into my brain. But then I have to wait until the last few days before the deadline to shoot. At least it gives me time to maybe even make a better idea out of it.

Dylan, there must be a bunch of (teenage?) snowboard guys wanting a few minutes of fame.
Or maybe some kind of candid camera with your friends as the "stars"?
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Good evening,

Still sorting out what to actually do! It was - 37 last night and wind chill on top of that. tonight -33 they say. so cold even Jack frost can't make a good design on the windows!!!

Perhaps, "sports of sorts, definitely not in shorts!"

Perhaps, snowy owls who come down for our balmy -30 or temps. We live in the Banana Belt here.

dale
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Wrangler

Sub-freezing temp., old snow, desolate landscape, gray sky, 20mph wind chill right to the bone…perfect.

But I’m not going out there. It’s too COLD.
Old December 18th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #7
Wrangler

the opposite of cold...

This is off-topic, but have you ever wished you could get your hands on the guy who invented those star-bright Christmas tree lights?
;)
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Wrangler

hm, i wonder if black ice can be made to look beautiful. maybe i should just film all the cars that are sliding into each other around here...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Meryem, maybe you could make that idea into a comedy video. :)
"How to drive on ice, or maybe not."
But I think the discussions between the (unhappy) drivers will be more heated than cold.
Old December 19th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #10
Major Player

no progress, I'm an idiot

It just started snowing, what promises to be a "blizzard" for around here anyway - 6 to 8 inches. Certainly enough to get snow on the beaches, and the edges of the pond freezing over. I've been keeping my fingers crossed for this all along and now that it's finally here I realized I don't have any tape. Just sort of thought there was some in my camera, but I pulled it out just now and no, nothing. ARGH.

The nearest big box store is 50 miles away. By the time any of our lovely DVInfo sponsors could send me some the snow will be melted. I wonder if the local drug store has any... wildly over priced I'm sure...
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #11
Trustee

Well, still haven't started any thing yet, hopefully some ideas will come to me during this weekend! And it's too warm here right now for some of my plans for the subject. Hopefully some colder weather next week!
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Good evening,

Well, the other night I was lying in bed not able to sleep as Uwol was heavy on my mind. I wrote up a comedy film titled, "Cabin Fever". I had some cool shot ideas and such but sence I have to film solo I have had to rule it out of plausability!!!
An hour or two later after numerous transient thoughts I laid down a shot list and settled on it. For the UWOLers it will not be anything new.

I had suffered out in -37 getting some shots that I thought would be good. Only to get home and realize I left the stabilizer on!!! Uggggg!!

I have three real nice shots. One has a huge cuddle quotient!! (does that even sound like me?) Only 3 or 4 minutes more to get!!!!

wondering If I am going to get to pull this one out of the Hat or not!!!!
Old December 21st, 2008, 10:59 AM   #13
Major Player

When I saw the theme my first thought was...too easy. Well I couldn't have been more wrong, believe it or not it's actually to damn cold to go out and shoot.

I have a couple of ideas that can be shot indoors...yep you heard me right....indoors. I'm going to give it a go and see what I come up with.

This should be a hoot.....Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 11:08 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Brian, that sounds like an interesting idea... Shooting indoors because it's too cold.
I'm looking forward to see your finished video.

So far I have only a vague idea, but I won't be able to shoot anything until the 26th at the earliest. A last minute project...
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:29 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

Trials and woes!!!

This morning was a real test. Raw cold - 30 or so slight wind too, ug. I drove 20 miles for a particular shot only to find that the winter sun low on the horizon did not give me what I wanted. This being the nicest day of the last week I did a little other shooting.

The Macro lens was to stiff to turn and focus properly. The cold loosened one of the allan sets in the cam tensioner in the tripod legs.

I use the gitzo for the macro stuff and it had been in the back of the truck and the head was terribly stiff!!!

My fingers were burning inside my gloves. A few trips back to the truck to warm the hands. I got the mits out. Then had to take on off to do camera adjustments with the bare hand, not so nice!!!

My cheak was getting stiff, good thing no one was around to talk to as that just makes one mumble!

I am beginning to think Brian has got it right!!!!!

My dream equipment!! A heated winter cape to tuck your hands into when filming with the camera. I gotta design one!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge