"Frozen Claus" by Hugh DiMauro DVC 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old January 5th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Trustee

"Frozen Claus" by Hugh DiMauro DVC 15

Hope you enjoy.
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Very clever. Your actors have a terrific sense of comedic timing. Nice period piece props as well. All in all a very entertaining movie. Thanks !
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Major Player

"Santa Claus popsicle" is all I need to say. Sums up the whole movie for me, plus the whole magician thing and "plan B", it's hilarious! I may have used a different camera angle for the first shots of the truck behind Santa, only to avoid showcasing those bright LED lights wrapped around the light pole, but I got over that pretty quick.

Are the leads speaking real German and Japanese? I thought it might be gibberish at first, but it started to sound more convincing the more I watched.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hugh:

I loved the magician thing in this. He kept going no matter what. This film cracked up our "wise guy" actor Dave Lawlor a lot. He gave it rave review, though he doesn't post here ! I haven't turned him into a camera geek, yet.

In the old truck sure adds production value.

The opposite of ours, this film started out dark (the historical footage of the guy with the mustache), but quickly became comical.

Lots of fun, and recommended for all.
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #5
Wrangler

Where on earth did you find those two agents??? I loved them! Everyone did a wonderful job, but those two cracked me up. Obviously, you meant for the magician to steal the show and he did just that.

The way you have been finding people with extra talents (horseshoes, magic tricks) and incorporating them into your movies really helps them shine. They’re great anyway, but it adds that extra punch and interest.

I believe you’ve got another wiener here! I mean, winner!
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi Hugh:

I'm Cat and this is my first exposure to DVC! I've been posting with UWOL and I must say I am blown away at the DVC films so far! We just run around outside and take shots of wildlife, but you guys are writing scripts, using actors, and developing fabulous films.

I thought this was hysterical. Very creative take on the theme. I couldn't help but balk out loud at the magician. And the newspaper spin up like the movies in the 50's was a nice touch.

I'm going to be diving into the DVC films more often!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #7
Trustee

Thank you all!

Chris S: I am consistently amazed at the degree of showmanship my volunteers exhibit. They need very little direction. I make a suggestion and they just run with it. I am blessed with having enthusiastic actors. The 1941 Dodge truck was over five hours late, sending our shooting schedule way past midnight. It's battery died on the hour drive over to the set. I paid the $68.00 replacement fee as a thank you for the owner's troubles.

Martens, you little wisenheimer! Nothing gets past you, huh? There are many anachronisms in this movie, but none so glaring as the LCD Christmas lamp pole lights. The leads are speaking in those respective languages, yes. The flatulent, well, that language is universal, right?

Chris B: I am glad you enjoyed it. That's why we made it. I made a vow that, from now on, my movies will be, at the very least, "G" rated, so anyone can watch it. I may push the envelope a tad with inuendo, but, you know, we're all grownups, right?

Lorinda: The German spy is my work partner and a German linguist. His family stated that they've never seen him so lively as he appeared in this movie! They had no idea there was this side to him! The Japanese spy is his brother who is a world class magician, having performed all over the world for dignitaries and the like, a lifetime member of the Magic Castle in Los Angeles and former employee with Japan Airlines. Oh, and as for your pun...GROAN!

Catherine: Welcome to the club! Please don't minimize UWOL's contribution to filmmaking and this website! You guys rock! I always hear how fabulous and professional the UWOL projects are, rivalling the major networks and National Geographic documentaries. Do you think I have the patience, ingenuity, intestinal fortitude, creativity or self-discipline to shoot a nature video? No way. You guys possess... True Grit! Give the DVC side a whorl! You'll have fun!
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #8
Trustee

Hi Hugh,
like Catherine I'm coming from the UWOL side and I'm speechless impressed what you're able to do! What impress me most is your ability to make this film so realistic, the old truck, the documentary clip of Hitler and so on... ...even though war-time shouldn't be funny to watch the end made me laugh, very surprising end.
Good work!
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #9
Major Player

I loved your film! One of the most enjoyable I have ever seen on DVC, and that's a lot.

I loved the comedy aspect, but it seemed unrealistic that two spies decide to leave their prisoner unattended and just leave for 2 hours before finishing the mission and then later show magic tricks. But hey, it's comedy and Germans are kidnapping Santa Claus, so..! :D

p.s. At first I thought you used a dummy truck with just the front!
Andris Krastins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #10
Trustee

Per Johan: Your reputation as an accomplished movie maker had preceded you in a big way. Your fans on this website greatly extol your talents. So, your compliment gives me incredible satisfaction. I cannot wait to see yours.

Andris: Thank you for the wonderful compliment. As you have figured, this movie is not to be taken seriously! I wanted to make Hitler look a bit like a buffoon for hatching a plan to kidnap Santa Claus! This movie was made strictly for laughs and to exploit the linguistic and magical talents of the actors. Thanks!

Last edited by Hugh DiMauro; January 6th, 2009 at 07:22 PM.
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Haha, this one had me laughing out loud. I do hold the recurring magic gags near and dear to my heart. Love the off the wall silliness.

How'd you go from Hitler to Japanese leader though?! Lol...
Joseph Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #12
Trustee

Thank You, Joseph!

I figured you'd like the magic gags! As for the Japanese angle, I had to balance out the fact that our German spy teamed up with a Japanese spy. So I started the movie with Hitler and killed two birds with one stone by ending the movie with the Japanese angle to facilitate the Pearl Harbor gag at the end. Hope it made sense!
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hilarious! I love it when a comedy doesn't rely on just one gag throughout but keeps throwing in stuff out of left field. The background magic show was priceless and the duelling languages. I must also echo the kudos on the use of the truck - my wife will attest that as soon as it appeared I yelled at the screen "Where did he get that truck!?!"

This one's a keeper for sure.

-j
Jay Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hilarious! I love it when a comedy doesn't rely on just one gag throughout but keeps throwing in stuff out of left field. The background magic show was priceless and the duelling languages. I must also echo the kudos on the use of the truck - my wife will attest that as soon as it appeared I yelled at the screen "Where did he get that truck!?!"

-j
Jay Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #15
Regular Crew

-j
Jay Silver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge