Slightly Confused at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old January 5th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Trustee

Slightly Confused

Hello Dylan and the DVC forum:

Happy New Year!

I'm new to the DVC as my experience has only been with UWOL so far. So I'm a bit confused that finalists have already been selected for the charity challenge. Where are people reviewing the films? I submitted mine to UWOL and as far as I have been able to discern, we haven't received a confirmation yet that submitted films on the UWOL site have been received or posted.

Will we be able to view all of the entered films? Or do we just view the finalists? In the UWOL world with a group judging, we review and comment on everyone's entry and the winner and finalists are selected by the group based on all of the films.

I understand this is not strictly UWOL so forgive my ignorance concerning the rules. Thank you Lorinda, for posting a list of submitted entries from the DVC side of the contest and keeping us informed about the DVC side of things.

In the spirit of UWOL, congratulations to the selected finalists, the amount of charity raised and Happy New Year!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Catherine,

So sorry for the confusion!

Dylan has a list of submissions from both sides and has shuffled them together in the order in which they were received. He calls each submission a “finalist” because, essentially, that’s what they are! :) Anyway, he no doubt has your film, and the others submitted on the UWOL side of things, ready to roll. He likes to serve them up a few at a time so that films and film makers get their “day in the sun.”

I believe we ended up with about 11 films so they’ll run all week.

Does that help? :)
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I was wondering the same thing. Contest aside I wanted to see all the videos too.

So they are not all posted at once.... I rather they were. Especially at 5 minutes in length could watch them all at one after the other.

So how does the voting go then? Is there a day the votes are due?
Tom Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Trustee

Hi Lorinda:

Thanks for the reply. That's a nice thought! Posting a few a day so entries would be featured... and everyone a finalist! O.K. that's fun. But siding a bit with Tom, for judging purposes, could there be a film bank somewhere so someone could go back and review a film that was featured earlier in the week if they wanted to? Is it okay to post a list of the entered films? I'd love to know who all made it before the deadline! I know for me it was really close. And how does the judging go?

All in all, this is for fun and good cheer, so no worries if this list of requests gets ignored.

Here's to all the finalists ;).

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #5
Wrangler

Not sure about a complete list right now, Cat. You've seen the DVC side and I think there were 3-4 from UWOL. Maybe whoever compiled the UWOL list will post it, I don't know. We'll see...

Tomorrow Dylan will add to the existing thread, and by the time voting starts near the end of the week you'll have a complete list all on one thread, so it's pretty easy in that regard.

As for voting, I am only one of three behind-the-scenes here so don't take this as gospel, but I THINK we're going to use the typical DVC model:

Just pick your top three films, and email your #1 #2 and #3 choices to thedvchallenge@gmail.com

Please include both the filmmakers name and the film title.

Have your vote e-mailed by Sunday night, Jan. 11. The winner will be announced on Monday.

So how do you pick your top three films? Voting should be weighted 50% for production quality, and 50% for use of theme/story. If you need help, here is a system Dylan has used almost since the start. In his words:

Each time I watch a film I give it two ratings out of 10. One for how well it uses the theme, one for overall production value. I write them down in order as I go, and if I find that they stack up better or worse to other films, I move their points up and down a little bit.

For example:
________Theme/Story ______ Production
Film A________9_____________ 9.5
Film B________8______________9
Film C________7______________7
Film D________5______________7
Film E________8______________3

By the end I find I have a list that represents fairly accurately what I would have chosen anyway, and no films get forgotten. I will go back and rewatch my top 5 just to make sure they are as I remember them.

A 1st place vote gets 3 points, 2nd gets 2, and 3rd gets 1. We add them up and get a winner.

About the dates, that is premature, as well, and may change, but I'm GUESSING that you have until Sunday, Jan. 11, to get your votes emailed to us. The date the winner, runners-up, etc. are announced is also subject to change, obviously.

Hope that offers some insight, even if it's not concrete...
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Wrangler

So.....if "how's it going to work?" is feeling better to everyone, I know of three film makers who would love to know your thoughts on today's films! And you don't have to be entered in the contest to offer feedback, either. :)
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
Hi Lorinda:

Thanks for the reply. That's a nice thought! Posting a few a day so entries would be featured... and everyone a finalist! O.K. that's fun. But siding a bit with Tom, for judging purposes, could there be a film bank somewhere so someone could go back and review a film that was featured earlier in the week if they wanted to? Is it okay to post a list of the entered films? I'd love to know who all made it before the deadline! I know for me it was really close. And how does the judging go?

All in all, this is for fun and good cheer, so no worries if this list of requests gets ignored.

Here's to all the finalists ;).

Cat
Hey Cat
All the films will be featured in the finalists thread, for easy access to the links. We have two more days of films to go for a total of 11 films.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/dvc-uwol-...finalists.html
Cheers!

Dylan
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #8
Major Player

Cool, 11 finalists ain't that bad! Thanks to the UWOL guys and gals!
Andris Krastins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #9
Wrangler

yours (and all other UWOLers) are coming, Cat. As mentioned, DVC has a slightly different catch and release system...all films are currently accounted for, UWOL has 5 total submissions, dunno what that makes the final count...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Trustee

Okay! I think I'm catching on ... Thanks for the pile on of clarification and info!

Here's to a good time to be had by all! Pass the popcorn, will ya?

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge