"freeze" by Jay Silver - DVC 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old January 6th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

"freeze" by Jay Silver - DVC 15

Finally I'm off the Wall of Shame!

I don't want to give too much of the behind the scenes stuff away just yet, other than to say that it's a huge departure from my original ideas and became a gordian knot of time and asset management. I'm happy with the end result and glad that I stuck with it and managed to complete an entry this time around.

One other note: there should be credits at the end. Due to a technical error they disappeared and I wasn't going to put the whole thing over the deadline waiting for a re-render with credits.

Thanks for watching, I hope you liked it.

-j
Jay Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I would call this a survey piece of experiences with cold through an ordinary day. It has a lot humor to it, and just when our hero seems to have come out of the cold... the ultimate freeze.

Nice film Jay.
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #3
Trustee

Great Job!

I laughed out loud when the poor fellow burned in the shower. We’ve all been there! As in the “Cold War” entry, your shot composition and lighting were great in that you set up each gag with a “setup shot.” Nicely done. I felt cold all the way thought this one and even sighed with audible relief at the warm foot soak. Warm pie-a-la-mode? Dude, I was there in the moment! The way you captured your brain freeze was perfect! The forehead shot had me in hysterics! Great job!
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Trustee

Where are you dvc'ers getting this cool ideas from!!? Jay, this was very nice to watch, as Hugh I was laughing of the shower scene too.
Great job in this one!
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #5
Wrangler

Ah, but keep in mind….she was washing out the coffee pot first, so what he got in the shower was….COLD! :)

I loved so many things about this film, Jay. It looks like a one-man endeavor to me, and I will always be in awe of film makers who can do that. Your attention to detail—the clock, the eyes watching the clock—gives us so much insight and makes us feel all the colder.

My laugh-out-loud moments were the sparks from the little heater and the resulting blackout, but I really laughed at the frozen man standing in the doorway. It’s what I expected while I waited for the door to open, what I wanted to see, and you gave it to us.

Before I forget, I want to mention that ADORABLE little boy. He couldn’t have been more perfect, and belongs on the big screen.

Question for you: What did you use to anchor your camera for the shot from the floor inside the car? If I remember correctly the shot was rock-solid.

Thanks so much for coming back to the Challenge with another great film, Jay. Don’t stay away so long, okay?
Old January 6th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
My laugh-out-loud moments were the sparks from the little heater and the resulting blackout, but I really laughed at the frozen man standing in the doorway.
The timing on the heater shot was absolute perfection, and the first shot of the bus flying by really got me; the rock-solid, unmoving stare at the bus as it drives away, then the little arm movement. And the doorway shot, the little clump of snow falling off your hat cemented that as my favorite gag. The ending I thought would just be a cute little "it was all worth it" type of scene, and you throw brain freeze at me, brilliant choice!

Could maybe have used a little music here and there, but I know what a task it can be to find something both appropriate and legal in such a short timeframe. Great to see you back in the mix!
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #7
Trustee

Hi Jay:

I love this film! Your attention to detail MADE this film, not to mention the excellent camera work. The humor was subtle but constant throughout, with the culmination being a highly entertaining and very funny film. It's the classic culmination of experiences we can all relate to! That was a cold, bad day and I really felt for the guy.

I'm from UWOL land, and I'm blown away at the professionalism in the acting, the camera work and the scripting from you DVCers.

Nicely done Jay!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Jay,

what a great little piece!!!! I really enjoyed it!!! It is definitely in my top four so far!!!

I had a good laugh several times through it and I loved the end!!!

Great ideas demonstrated in a first class manner!!!

I loved it!!!
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Great film. Did you use Ae for the effects shots, the spark and the snow?
Brain freeze was really funny. Loved the ending shot pulling back from the house.

Man I really felt for the guy he was really cold.

Well done, man, well done.
Tom Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #10
Major Player

I've watched this one a few times and find myself chuckling out loud even more on repeat viewings.. Great fun. I really felt for our hero.... when I saw him take that big chunk of ice cream I was wondering WHy he would do that ... thinking I guess that is the final indicator he got warm... and then laughed out loud at the site gag when I realized what was about to happen.

Fun, really fun film. Thanks !

Chris Swanberg

ps. The heater sparking and the lights going out was incredible. How'd you pull that effect off ?
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Jay,

I really like your video. I could feel the cold through the computer screen!
Favorite shot was the frozen moment as the man came back home. Priceless!!

Well done! I´ll be visiting the DVC forum more often from now on, as I´m an UWOL guy myself.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #12
Wrangler

i love silent film shtick, so this hit me in all the right ways...hilarious...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #13
Major Player

The "wife" in the film.... I can just see the casting call.

You: "hey Honey, this is your big chance to be in a movie!"

Wife: (unenthused) great. What will I be wearing?

You: Oh just a bathrobe. (not a clue what THAT does to her desire to be IN the movie)

Wife: Oh terrific. ME, and....A ratty old bathrobe. No way.

You: Oh please ? I need someone in that role and, well (puppy dog eyes) you'd be so perfect and are SOO beautiful. (nice try)

Wife: I'd never let ANYONE see me like that, let along the entire internet!

You: (suddenly clever) Well it WOULD be a shame, but what if I promise to not let anyone see your face in the movie?

Wife: wellllll...

DONE.

Am I close to how it actually happened ?

ps. I left out the part about the bathrobe in her mind making her "look fat", I am sure... and whoever she was she looked just FINE in the bathrobe, btw.

pps. The UWOL types are getting thier eyes opened at what the DV Challenge folks have to go through I am sure. No squirrel ever did all that.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge