"COLD" by Cat Russell at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old January 7th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Trustee

"COLD" by Cat Russell

Oops! I've just tested my clip and it doesn't have audio, which of course holds the entire thing together. I am currently trying to get a version up on You Tube, which I didn't know we could do before the challenge. When it is available I'll post the link. I apologize for this guys! but it might be better in the long run, for I am posting a higher def version which I couldn't do in the UWOL format. Thanks for waiting!

Oh no! My entry is up for review!

Okay, time to offer my own honest critique.... I think I'm in the wrong forum! All I've seen so far are movies from the DVC side and you guys have blown me away with your creative takes on the theme, scripting, acting .... my film is nothing like that!

Even though I filmed off and on for several weeks, I like the rest of you, put this together in a day. There is a very literal take on the theme and no plot, scripting, acting ... you get the idea. What I'm offering you is a very nice Hallmark card ... which is not a bad thing, but perhaps not appropriate for this group.

If you happen to enjoy Hallmark cards, then I offer this to you with good cheer and well wishes for a Happy New Year! Per and Trond, I haven't seen your films yet, but it's nice to have some UWOL friends entered into the mix!

This has been a really fun forum to participate in, even if I'm a bit of a fish out of water :)

Cat

Last edited by Catherine Russell; January 7th, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Wrangler

I'm just popping in for the moment but wanted to quickly tell you something, Cat...

Your opening completely BLEW ME AWAY. It is GORGEOUS!!

Anyway, I'll be back with more later. Just wanted you to know you are not in the wrong place at all. Mixing nature into all these narratives is a welcome change... :)
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Catherine,

As always you come up with something new and interesting.
Loved the water running below the ice.
And the christmas card... That is simply you!
Who else could have come up with that!?

Well done!!
Thanks for sharing.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Trustee

Trond, was there audio? It's worthless without it. I didn't get audio on my end and am trying to post on You Tube.

Cat
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes, I heard the music just fine.

But when trying to download yours and Per's videos, I had to right click and "save target as". Just clicking the link as we normally are able to do, resulted in "page error".
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #6
Major Player

The opening sight gag with the moon was cute, I liked that. I really cracked up at the bird, though. Duck, goose, swan, I don't know my animals and can't identify what I'm looking at, but watcing it pop into frame and start gnawing on your lens hood was priceless.

I agree with Trond, you can't go wrong with water under ice. Always a pleasant visual, and you captured it here very well. Then to close things out with the rabbit just chilling out, getting his snack on, great little wrap up.

I wouldn't say you're out of place at all. It's certainly hard to compare narrative fiction with documentary work, but all the movies seem to go together, so everyone fits right in. Seasons Greetings to you, too, and I hope your New Year has started off well!
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #7
Inner Circle

CAt,

As Always you throw something real creative in you videos!!!

The opening was awesome.

thought the goose was a bit to long.

The fish under the ice was totally Cool!!

I very much enjoyed it.

the closing of the book was pretty nice end!!!

You always amaze me!!!
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hey Cat:

That Christmas greeting had a real nice warm feeling, despite oue subject. Good to see your cast of characters still on the scene. I liked your close with everything turning into a still Card.

I sincerely enjoyed the sentiments you conveyed from the Russels, and wish you the same.
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Trustee

Cat, wow how a stunning opening! Nice to watch your "talents" enjoy themself in the wintertime! (Oh, and there is no problem with the sound, plays perfectly to me!)

If I gonna be a little picky, some of the shoots was too long, but that's minor (looks like you was editing to the beat of the music?)

And the postcard in the end was nice, AE-work I guess?

Good work, Cat
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #10
Trustee

Hate to Admit This But...

The greeting card at the end made me tear up a bit. Yeah, I'm a softee that way. Your opening credits were awesome! Your music was fantastic and appeared to be synchronized with nature and your scene-stealing goose made me laugh out loud! Of course, I happen to love farm animals (being a city boy, myself) and enjoyed their starring roles, along with the friendly hare. Man, I loved this movie! I really loved this movie! I am in such a good mood because of it! Thank you for sharing on our side of the tracks!
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #11
Major Player

Cat... thank you for a lovely Christmas present, albeit in January.

The opening set up was magnificent!! I'm hoping you won't mind if I file that one away in my meager "book of tricks" and use it or something like it someday.

The images were very homey and folksey...much enjoyed. The way you pulled the card together begets some post skills I yearn to someday have as well.

The best to you and yours in 2009.

Chris Swanberg
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #12
Wrangler

Hi again, Cat,

Just wanted to add that all your images looked quite lovely. You caught the frosty breath on the goats in really pretty light--that was one image that stands out in my mind.

Wouldn't you have thought that with all its other gyrations the swan (or is that a goose?) would have stopped long enough to really look into your lens? I kept waiting for that and in one place I wanted to yell, "stop right there, buddy, so we can have a look at ya!"

The theme was "cold" but I have to say it--yours is the "warmest" entry here because your warm heart can't help but show. :)
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #13
Trustee

Hi all:

Thank you so much for the feedback! I so appreciate it! I'm still working on a higher resolution version on You Tube just for grins.

Per, I agree this clip is on the slow side... not much time to make it more interesting than what I got.

Hugh and Robert... you guys are my first DVC reviewers and your enthusiasm and good cheer make me want to bottle that up and bring it on home! Hugh, I've read your other comments on different threads and you put a lot of time and effort into our support and critique of other's work. Very fun and inspirational!

Chris B., Dale and Trond: Thanks for the kind words and warm wishes. And thanks for coming over to the DVC side this round and keeping me company!

I feel like I've simply widened my UWOL family to include the DVC family under the same roof.

Here's to film-making in 2009!

Cat

P.S. Just posted this and boom, Lorinda and Chris also chime in. Thanks for the watch! For everyone's info, Hugh got it right (well done for a city boy!), the bird is a goose, a Chinese guard goose named Yang. His female counter part is named Yin. They add quite a lot of expression to the farm gang.

Last edited by Catherine Russell; January 8th, 2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Cat nice going. The opening title was really cool. Nice use of the moon. I like good titles as much as good movies. Great transition from the moon to the wreath.

Had some buddies over last night and we watched some of the entries. One of them asked if we now have to send you Holiday cards?
Tom Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #15
Trustee

Hey Tom:

Yes! Tell your friends that is a must. I would love a card ;-). If I can actually hold you to it fire me an e-mail and I'll send you my address. Ha!

Thank you for noticing that detail of the moon transition to the wreath. Way to go! You obviously have an eye for detail... it shows throughout your own film in "Cold Wars".

Thanks for the watch and the comment.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge