DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/)
-   -   Okay, so this was a blast ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/141188-okay-so-blast.html)

Catherine Russell January 8th, 2009 09:39 PM

Okay, so this was a blast ...

Thank you Dylan and Lorinda (and all else behind the scenes) for hosting a great forum ...

I had a wonderful time, so when do we do this again? I'm thankful I had some UWOL friends to wrap up in like a warm blanket, but the DVC crowd? You guys are a mighty warm crew in both talent and humor and lots of kind words ... taking the chill off of such a cold theme.

Cheers,

Cat

Lorinda Norton January 8th, 2009 10:05 PM

It was our pleasure, Cat, and I agree---great, great fun! The charity challenge is Dylan's baby, and it was his idea to try a joint venture with UWOL. So......thank you, Dylan!!! :D

If everyone wants we'll all meet up again next year around Christmastime and see what kind of fun we can rustle up.

Robert Martens January 8th, 2009 11:04 PM

I'm up for more of this, and I'm already looking forward to next year!

This contest was great, and for the record brings the DVC collection--including as many different versions of entrants' films as were available at the time of their release--to over eight and three quarter gigabytes. Even a dual layer data DVD won't hold the whole thing anymore. Blu-ray here we come!

Chris Barcellos January 9th, 2009 12:16 AM

I have been participating at both UWOL and DVC since UWOL started, and it has been fun seeing both processes of film making. I recommend that any DVCer or UWOLer cross the line regularly....

Dylan Couper January 9th, 2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 991644)
It was our pleasure, Cat, and I agree---great, great fun! The charity challenge is Dylan's baby, and it was his idea to try a joint venture with UWOL. So......thank you, Dylan!!! :D

Actually, I have to give props to Meryem for the joint venture idea, she brought it up after the '07 charity challenge, we just had to wait a year. :)

Glad everyone had fun!

Lorinda Norton January 9th, 2009 02:03 AM

OOPS! Well then.....HOORAY FOR MERYEM!!! Great idea you had there, girl! :D

Tom Sherwood January 9th, 2009 04:02 AM

Form a first timer's perspective I can say it was really fun. Thanks for putting this together. It was the fire I needed to get something rolling. I've been working with my buddy George (Mr Stiegle from my movie) for the past year on scripts and movie ideas. And this challenge was just what we needed to get some practical experience doing this. We are working on a feature length movie, but we may do another short to hone our skills a bit before tackling such a feat.

Thanks a million.

Trond Saetre January 9th, 2009 06:28 AM

Yes, this combined UWOL/DVC challenge was real fun.
Hope we can do this in the future too.

Lorinda Norton January 10th, 2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 991685)
I have been participating at both UWOL and DVC since UWOL started, and it has been fun seeing both processes of film making. I recommend that any DVCer or UWOLer cross the line regularly....

I’ve only participated in one UWOL contest and it was tough! Sitting in one place for what seemed like an eternity waiting for something to happen just about did me in. Plus reaching the end of my lens and needing much more was frustrating as all get out.

That doesn’t mean I won’t ever be crazy enough to try it again, though… :)

Per Johan Naesje January 10th, 2009 12:53 PM

As I'm going to use a couple of talents in future uwols, there is a great change that I will try out some more dvc-challenges too. This has been real fun to participate in.

Dale Guthormsen January 10th, 2009 06:03 PM

Good evening,

This was a terrific idea and I am glad to have participated. For me it was truly educational to read about how things unfolded for everyone, reading the commentaries and of course, watching the videos. There seemed to be two genras; ideally one would now like to perhaps have a second go around so one could attempt a blending of the two into one video.
I have wanted to give the dv challenge a shot but being out here in nowhere having to always work alone makes it rather difficult. The nearest person that will work with me and has some talent lives three hours north.

I want to thank everyone involved, it has been a pleasure.

Meryem Ersoz January 10th, 2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 991712)
Actually, I have to give props to Meryem for the joint venture idea, she brought it up after the '07 charity challenge, we just had to wait a year. :)

Glad everyone had fun!

Thanks, Dylan, I'm glad it worked out this year and everyone managed to pull together.

Should be even better next year, now that we've figured out a few of the oopsies of integrating our contests!

I'm glad everyone had a good time and made some groovy movies....

Joseph Tran January 12th, 2009 05:25 AM

Yes, this was quite a blast, and the voting was quite tough!

Coming from the DVC side, I always enjoy the different, and very, very varied, stories and storytelling techniques that come out of this challenge.

This was the first time watching pieces from the UWOL side, however, and I must say that you folks truly produce some masterful shots! I think it's amazing how you can take a scene from nature, see it, and frame it just perfectly for the camera.

Watching from both perspectives, taking note of each of the different filmmaking styles, was very educational and very enjoyable. I'll certainly be taking some of the things I learned during this challenge and applying them to the next challenge. Cheers to you all!