DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/)
-   -   Swan Song (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/141491-swan-song.html)

Chris Barcellos January 13th, 2009 12:55 PM

Swan Song

I hadn't planned to submit anymore films to either challenge, but the charity event always spurs me to do something.

Over the last three years, I have had the pleasure to do be involved in most of the DVC Challenges, and most of the UWOL challenges. Participating in both of these challenges has given me a perspective on the production issues involved in Nature film making, as well as narrative film production.

I want to thank all involved in both Challenges, participants and moderators, for the opportunity to participate. To those who are lurking in the background saying, should I do something, just do it and don't be afraid. There is nothing like deadline to make you focus your talents, and get you to actually produce something. That is what both of these challenges have done for me.

At this point, though, I have resolved to take some of the skill I have learned here from all of you, and move on to work with a group of local film makers on local festival projects and other projects, and because of that, my participation this year in either of the DVInfo challenges will be limited. Like others that have moved on, and occasionally dropped back in, I may occasionally jump in, but this joint challenge thread affords me the opportunity to thank all of you for the great experiences. Good luck to all of you in this new year !

Catherine Russell January 13th, 2009 03:08 PM

All the best Chris:

And drop in on the forums... even if it is to let us know how your new pursuits are going! And I don't think you alone learned from others in these two forums, but we learned from you too. I know I have!

Here's to new horizons!

Cat

Dale Guthormsen January 13th, 2009 04:54 PM

chris,

I know what it is like to unplug from things at times, and totally appreciate the move.

As Cat said, drop back in on occassion and let us know what you are up to, and perhaps something new you have to share with us.

I have enjoyed your presence and have learned plenty from yourself!! Will miss your entries to be certain!!

Per Johan Naesje January 13th, 2009 05:17 PM

Chris, second Cat and Dale. I gonna miss your nice films and knowledge at the uwol-camp. So, please visit us from time to time.
Good luck with your future projects!

Chris Swanberg January 16th, 2009 12:55 AM

Chris probably wouldn't post this himself, but here is one of his current projects. He is the DP on this film, and the trailer Chris shot was just posted on the website tonight.

Six Minutes

Chris didn't write this but he seems to have an affinity for dark films these days, doncha think?

Meryem Ersoz January 16th, 2009 09:19 AM

shoot, I thought this was going to be about swan footage not about your moving on...

thanks for all you have done to build both challenges, Chris, and good luck pushing yourself in your craft.

Chris Barcellos January 16th, 2009 11:13 AM

After posting this title, I had this vision of me dancing in a tutu, doing Swan Lake...... definitely not something any of us want to see...

Lorinda Norton January 16th, 2009 12:55 PM

Oh, I don’t know…that might be pretty entertaining. :)

After watching your work on the trailer I can say this--it’s a good move on your part even though you’ll be missed around here. But we know you’ll be back; you can’t leave that Light Rider character stuck in President Lincoln’s coffin forever--his life support only lasts so long, ya know…

Chris Barcellos December 10th, 2009 11:16 AM

Just saw this thread here. Wow, did things change. In February, I got my 5D, and these challenges suddenly proved to be ideal places to learn about and prove this camera, so I got back on the train in both of these competitions. Then with the little health event in July, and recovery there, these challenges were my only outlet. Lesson learned.... never say never and never plan to far ahead.