its the little things at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old January 12th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

its the little things

This has been one of my favorite projects to date. Especially since watching chris's challenges to UWOL. In hind sight I should have included either a rock or a lawn gnome in my film. None the less I really enjoyed this project because it was a completely solo project. I have not done one of these in many years. Although I have many cameras at my disposal, I went armed with only one camera. To many screeners disbelief, there was no other cameras or crew members. If you have not seen it yet here it is.

On the more technical side, some suddel tricks. The first half of the film I attempted to make it very dreary and devoid of color. At one point in post I had completely added in all foley work but once it was all done I decided against it. I felt that this project had to remain simple keeping it a bit of a mix of DV and UWOL side.

As for the Tree itself... When I was a delivery driver for "brown" I saw it was taken back by it. When I went there to film this project, the guy that actually carved it told me all about it. Almost changed my mind right there to film him and do a documentary on the tree. After talking to Igor for about 5 minutes, I realized although a nice guy, a bit out of it and kept forgetting what he was talking about. As funny as that would have been, I did not want to disrespect the artist.
Clint Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Clint:

Very nice film. I really enjoyed the whole idea of the film, and the way you shot it.

I had considered doing a similar "only self involved" short for this one, but decided against it because the lead actor wouldn't cut it :). Yours is certainly good... Maybe a challenge one time form theDVChallenge should be just that.

Any way I really like the way you used the local landmark carved tree trunk in you story. And film was well done.
Old January 12th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Nice, I liked it. Very simple message being conveyed, but a very good one.

The music fit in really well with the overall feel of the film.

I can definitely appreciate the fact that you did this on your own, and I understand it would have been extremely difficult to vary the camera movements a whole lot, which is really my only minor gripe. It's okay though, as the shots fit in well.

Overall, I enjoyed it...and bonus points for doing it on your own!
Ben Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Clint,

The tree was quite remarkable. At first I thought maybe it was something created in after effects, but when you kept changing angles I realized that was a gosh darn carved tree.

That's a very interesting and impressive visual, but I think there is more you can do with the story. Instead of money in a jar, I'd love to see the tree bring two people together into love. I'm a sap for relationship driven stories, and have had a couple of glasses of wine tonight so keep all of that in mind as you read this critique. The tree is a powerful prop. Like to see a powerful story with it.

Love your idea of interviewing the artist. Like to see why he came to carve the face. Hope you rethink doing that and give it a go.

Technically, I might have tried for a little softer lighting or used some filters to keep the blown out whites down a bit. I like the campfire and might have added some close up images of people's faces lit by the fire. See the expression as people hear the story of the tree.

Why the heck did he carve that face into the tree? That still bothers me, and I might not be able to sleep tonight thinking about it.

One more glass of wine and then it's bedtime...
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #5
Wrangler

...and as our lover-boy drifts off to sweet dreams we return to the filmmaker who would sooner send a relationship sky-high with explosives as nurture one in his films. ;)

Hey Clint!

Only a young guy would be down-and-out, get an unexpected wad of cash and decide to throw a party. But it's not like you could start a business with it or anything, right? :)

I think you did a good job of switching angles and distances to compensate for the lack of camera movement while shooting. Made it interesting enough for me; I didn't get tired of watching. And you're cute, too, so that helped a lot. (I can say that because I'm old.)

It's a good film; I'm glad you enjoyed making it. Reminded me a bit of one my pal and DVC alumnus Bradley Marlow shot a few years ago featuring him alone in front of and behind the camera. Framing and then acting natural can be a real challenge but you two proved it can be done, and done well.
Old January 13th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Clint,

What a great little video!! you show how simple a story can be told. I Really liked this!! It made have a good laugh! You told the story perfectly and I loved the end!!

Often times a little is a lot!!!! And this is a great example!!

Great Job!!! so far, my favorite.

Truly look forward to seeing more of your work!! Is that you at the tree???
Old January 13th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Clint,

What a great little video!! you show how simple a story can be told. I Really liked this!! It made have a good laugh! You told the story perfectly and I loved the end!!

Often times a little is a lot!!!! And this is a great example!!

Great Job!!! so far, my favorite.

Truly look forward to seeing more of your work!! Is that you at the tree???
That is excatly what I was going for "less is more"
and yes that is me at the tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays View Post
Clint,

The tree was quite remarkable. At first I thought maybe it was something created in after effects, but when you kept changing angles I realized that was a gosh darn carved tree.

That's a very interesting and impressive visual, but I think there is more you can do with the story. Instead of money in a jar, I'd love to see the tree bring two people together into love. I'm a sap for relationship driven stories, and have had a couple of glasses of wine tonight so keep all of that in mind as you read this critique. The tree is a powerful prop. Like to see a powerful story with it.

Love your idea of interviewing the artist. Like to see why he came to carve the face. Hope you rethink doing that and give it a go.

Technically, I might have tried for a little softer lighting or used some filters to keep the blown out whites down a bit. I like the campfire and might have added some close up images of people's faces lit by the fire. See the expression as people hear the story of the tree.

Why the heck did he carve that face into the tree? That still bothers me, and I might not be able to sleep tonight thinking about it.

One more glass of wine and then it's bedtime...
I really want to do a relationship story. I have a few in mind, but it takes time and more actors. One of these times, I will do just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
...and as our lover-boy drifts off to sweet dreams we return to the filmmaker who would sooner send a relationship sky-high with explosives as nurture one in his films. ;)
So very true! Pyrotechnics>Drama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Clint:

Very nice film. I really enjoyed the whole idea of the film, and the way you shot it.

I had considered doing a similar "only self involved" short for this one, but decided against it because the lead actor wouldn't cut it :). Yours is certainly good... Maybe a challenge one time form theDVChallenge should be just that.

Any way I really like the way you used the local landmark carved tree trunk in you story. And film was well done.
That is an interesting idea! An entire challenge of filming only yourself, maybe a rock or squirrel too ;)
Clint Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Clint,
Your video is the proof that "less is more" is actually true.
I enjoyed watching, and it was a good story.

Well done!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #9
Major Player

Great presentation. I could feel the semi desperation pouring from the screen, and then suddenly out of nowhere, a glimmer of hope. And then a party! I was wondering how much $$ was in the cup, was it $20's $100's, $5's, we may never know. We all need a tree like that sometime in our lives.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #10
Wrangler

I was just thinking about your film and the response I gave about how you spent the money, when the notion hit me that you were passing along the gift to others. Nice. :)

Oh, and one other thing: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CLINT!!!
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #11
Major Player

A nicely done story of "paying it forward" to to speak. The storyline was captivating and held my interest throughout. On a second watch I did pick up the saturation increase, and if that was your intent maybe you needed to hit the view over the head with it a little more - starting practically in B&W with a small tint of color? I dunno, just a thought.

A very nice piece and I enjoyed it !

Chris
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #12
Trustee

Hey Clint,

This was really well done - from the concept - with the use of the tree - to the scene around the fire. It's cool to do a piece that tells a worthy story without a single spoken word.

All the more impressive that you solo'ed the whole thing.

Looking forward to see more of your work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge