The Production Lounge - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old January 8th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #61
Major Player

Well done Cole!

Trond, it might be worth considering a hybrid/DSLR like the GH2 or VG10. I didn't have the cash to replace my XH-A1 with the new Canon and so was in the same boat as you, but buying a VG10 allowed me to get great image quality at a lower price level and I know I've still got the XH-A1 for when I do jobs that require more pro features.

Plus it means I'm amassing DSLR lenses that won't become obsolete and can be used with the AF100 or whatever the equivalent is when I can afford to upgrade my main cam. It beats starting from scratch every few years...
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #62
Inner Circle

With building out a studio cyclorama, a new office, and a crash last night of my computer system that has taken most of they day to clean up, I am beyond the point of being able to get something done for this challenge.... I've always particularly looked forward to this challenge, especially when it joined up with UWOL. Even yesterday, I had hoped to cobble something together, but it just wasn't in the cards this time around.

Catch you all on the next go around..
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #63
Regular Crew

Sorry to hear that Chris. I always enjoy your entries.
I'm certain you'll have better luck the next challenge that comes around.
Cole Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #64
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Seidl View Post
HA!
Production is completely done. It was hellacious, and fun. Editing now. Will have it completed without a doubt.
Cracked me up, Cole! Done while in France, no less! You just made my night. :)
Old January 9th, 2011, 05:37 AM   #65
Major Player

I'm not sure if I should submit mine, it's not... that good. Ah, for the hell of it I probably will.
Old January 9th, 2011, 05:48 AM   #66
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Williams View Post
Trond, it might be worth considering a hybrid/DSLR like the GH2 or VG10. I didn't have the cash to replace my XH-A1 with the new Canon and so was in the same boat as you, but buying a VG10 allowed me to get great image quality at a lower price level and I know I've still got the XH-A1 for when I do jobs that require more pro features.

Plus it means I'm amassing DSLR lenses that won't become obsolete and can be used with the AF100 or whatever the equivalent is when I can afford to upgrade my main cam. It beats starting from scratch every few years...
Thank you for the tips, Henry! I appreciate.

Anyway, I finally got my (trusted) XM2 up and running again today. Several new rounds of using cleaning tape seems to have solved the problem with the dirty heads.
(Notice to self: Remember to use the cleaning tape in "record mode" also, and not only "play mode".)

Unfortunately today's weather (storm and rain coming horizontally) and (lack of) time have sent me to the wall of sharks.
I'm out of this challenge, but will be back next round!

Good luck everyone! I look forward to see all the finished films.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 06:52 AM   #67
Major Player

I wonder about the UWOL version of the the film.
I have not got any uploading instructions. The Vimeo link is mailed to thedvchallenge@gmail.com. Maybe that will do?

Trond, I am sorry to hear about your problems. The next UWOL challenge is not far away.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #68
Inner Circle

Finn-Erik

No upload instructions for the DVC or DVC/UWOL challenges.
Upload to youtube and/or vimeo, and send the link via email as you already have done.

It's only for UWOL we upload to the uwol website.

And yes, I'm looking forward to February and the next UWOL challenge :)
Finally the camera is cooperating again.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #69
Wrangler

Trond is correct, Finn-Erik. I haven't looked to see if prior UWOL entries submitted for the charity challenge have been posted on the UWOL Web site or not, but for this challenge the YouTube or Vimeo link sent to thedvchallenge@gmail.com is all you need.

Andris, I have thought that very thing about the majority of my entries--that they weren't worth submitting. But, like you, I decided that after all the work we put into them we might as well! I just watched a behind-the-scenes clip with Joel and Ethan Coen regarding their film Intolerable Cruelty. One of them had a look of regret and almost embarrassment about the film because it was more commercial than what they usually do. Funny, I liked that one better than some of their others. So there you go--you never know what is going to be a hit with some people. :)
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #70
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
Cracked me up, Cole! Done while in France, no less! You just made my night. :)
Glad to hear it. Although, I came back to the states a week ago, with just enough time to crank this out. Just forgot to change location on here.
Cole Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #71
Major Player

Just great... now that I've finished my editing, I discover that the internet speed has gone with the weather... state of emergency was declared a few days ago.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1104103492.png

It may take me up to 23 hours to upload a 100mb file!!! I may be a little late if the electricity doesn't go out.
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #72
Wrangler

No worries from this end, Andris. Hoping the upload doesn't get interrupted!
Old January 9th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #73
Major Player

exporting now so fingers crossed. Afraid I havent had time to do a version for dark monitors so some of you may have to adjust your sets :( Sorry! Other than that pretty pleased. Just hope nothing goes wrong with compressor...
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #74
Regular Crew

Well, it's as ready as I can make it before deadline. Done and loaded up to Vimeo....

Looking forward to seeing everybody's gems.
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #75
Major Player

Well done Marc!

Same here. All done and dusted.
Henry Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge