DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/)
-   -   The Endless (by A.Krastins) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/490011-endless-krastins.html)

Andris Krastins January 11th, 2011 03:08 AM

The Endless (by A.Krastins)

The Endless is an experimental video poetry with the intention to substitute some of the words by visual images.

A person lost is searching for himself and reality is defined only by the brief perspective of the moment. Stuff usually overlooked in daily life. Every dream character is a representative of the Self. And the Self itself is also being dreamed for it is a process (psyche).

There is no strict script in the usual rational sense of the word.

It was filmed in 2 days, edited in another. Some of the script needed reworking during editing, because some scenes could not be shot and some were unusable due to the crew freezing, as well as the rings of my camera. My fingers were freezing as well, so there is some unplanned camera shake.

The music is by Black Box. An experimental noise project from Latvia who kindly allowed to use their music for this video. They don't use any musical instruments, just everyday objects and voice later edited on computer.

Video's webpage: http://our-fire.net/?p=384

Trond Saetre January 11th, 2011 05:51 AM

Hello Andris,

Coming from the uwol world, I found your video real cool and interesting to watch.
I like how the audio matches the visuals, and that you were able to tell a story almost without words.

Well done!

Henry Williams January 11th, 2011 09:33 AM

Hi Andris,

I agree absolutely with Trond. Some very strong (and in places disturbing) visuals that felt very much in tune with the ambient soundtrack. They really seemed to fit together.

Out of interest what were you shooting on to be able to get such great low light?

Henry

Marc Burleigh January 11th, 2011 09:39 AM

Hi Andris....

My first impressions: love some of the imagery, but I don't get the idea of the film. Now, before you think I'm one of those guys who sticks to Hollywood narratives, let me say I really do appreciate video art. Canada's Guy Maddin, to name one artist, does some amazing stuff that renews my view of what moving images can do.

In the case of "The Endless," I can say I really like some of your images. The train, in particular, was eye-catching, especially with the light streaming downwards at an angle. It evokes all sorts of things. The blood on the sidewalk, the girl in the snow; all interesting as well, and yes they prompt an emotional response. And I can see how they fit with the aesthetic you have on your website, along with the way you showcase the music. You're really talented with sound design. The music fits with the edits, and you pan the sound to provide dimension, and in that regard I'm taking a lot of notes on how I can improve.

From my personal point of view, I was not engaged in the "story". I didn't know where it was going, I had no character to anchor myself on, and no transition that was taking place. I felt like I was along for the ride, a passive passenger to your production. And I'm not great at being passive. I want to work things out -- either understand the journey and the destination, or -- even better -- be bamboozled by how I was wrong and yet how the story had a cohesiveness that elevated me. It was like witnessing someone else's dream, which is fine... but for me, I like to dream along....

Technically, you varied your shots nicely, and the editing complemented the sounds.

Thanks for providing probably the most right-hemisphere entry this round. And if I ever get a chance, I'll be trying to capture a train moment like you did -- that's one image that will stick with me!

Finn-Erik Faale January 11th, 2011 04:40 PM

Andris,
You have made a shady film. Dark scenes together with the sounds give a psychedelic effect.
The night shots are very good. I also like your editing.
But, I must admit some problems following the story line.

How did you make the (underwater?) shot from 2.10?

Lorinda Norton January 11th, 2011 08:24 PM

Perhaps I am getting used to what I think is a bizarre way of looking at things (did I just call your perspective bizarre?) :) but I didn't struggle as much with this one as I have with two of your past films. Maybe I'm learning to simply jump on the ride and soak in the images. I appreciated your explanation, though, in a vague and simplified way I happened to be on the wavelength when I watched it.

These images are well designed, shot with purpose and a good eye for how to evoke uneasiness within the viewer. Well done, Andris.

You and your friends certainly understand the concept of suffering for your art! Brrrrr!!!

Cole Seidl January 12th, 2011 12:56 AM

Andris,
I'm going to go ahead and assume you've seen "Lady Blue Shanghai" by David Lynch. There seems to be a lot of camera work reminiscent of that.

As has already been said, you have a good grip on imagery. You frame your shots well, and you have an eye for art direction that most no budget filmmaker's would kill for. I liked your usage of that sort of minimalist noise rock to help evoke a nightmarish quality from even some of the simpler images.

I'll also say the same as a couple of the others in that I didn't really follow much of a story. I think I understand what you were going for, though. I am a massive avant-garde fan, and I personally think that the best avant-garde work, even if it lacks a linnear plot, always has a very clear theme that can be felt and understood on a basic emotional level. I think if you can perfect that, you'll be a powerhouse.

Good work on this, I'm excited to see what you crank you in the future!

Andris Krastins January 12th, 2011 01:13 AM

Hi, and thanks for all of your comments, advice and valuable critique! I'll get to commenting your works soon.

I fully accept your valid and logical critique on the lack of clear, understandable, even if undercurrent, plot.
That is the main problem with this piece, but I didn't have any time to fix some of these issues because of the deadline. So this time it was either this or nothing. I'll improve on this for the next challenge. :)

Henry, about the low light - I used a Canon XHA1 in some scenes supplemented by the Flolight MicroBeam 128.

Finn-Erik, the "underwater" shots were shot like this:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5007/...fd104f79_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5126/...0ae8ca09_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5049/...0be52d5e_z.jpg

Cole, I haven't seen "Lady Blue Shanghai", but you are right - I really like films by David Lynch. :)

Again, thanks all of you for your comments, I hope to present you with something more coherent next challenge. :)

Alan Emery January 13th, 2011 08:39 AM

Hi Andris,

My impression of this project was immediate: I liked the drifting in and out of reality, the shift from dream to real time, the metaphor of the train carrying a person or a perspective from place to place, even the girl in the snow drawing away -- it all hung together in an ethereal and demanding way.

Congratulations on a complex little project pulled off in great style.

Alan

Pete Bauer January 13th, 2011 05:05 PM

Bravo Andris! Like some others, the first time I viewed the piece I was a bit unsure what to think because my mindset going into it was more narrative (and perhaps too much so because I just finished my own very narrative project). But after reading your description and viewing again without that constraint, I thought it was spectacularly done.

The film quite effectively was able to evoke emotion with superbly choreographed images and sound. I could easily imagine it as a section of a larger project, perhaps a flashback suffered by a main character. The only very tiny nitpick I could find technically, and it is an entirely subjective one, is the hard cut at 1:07, which to me just didn't seem to fit well with what appeared to be the "dip to white" and additive dissolves surrounding it. The hard cuts following seemed fine, but for some reason that particular one just felt abrupt to me.

Congratulations on a fantastically done study!

Dale Guthormsen January 18th, 2011 02:35 PM

Andris,

I looked forward to your short!!! and I was not disappointed at all. I actually appreciate dark films and this one drew me in and held me to the end. It did require me to sort things out as it unfolded and I had it sorted well before the end. Alfred Hitchcock would be impressed as this film needed no words for me to understand it!

I felt the imagery and overlaps were terrific. While I was not available to vote, this one would have got my vote for certain!!!!

Of the films of yours I have seen I thought this was the best!!!!

Keep up the great work and I look forward to your next film!!