DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/)
-   -   The Spark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/490064-spark.html)

Finn-Erik Faale January 12th, 2011 12:21 PM

The Spark

Here is my contribution to the challenge.

My takes place in the winter. For many people a depressing and not much attractive season.
An old Nordic invention and a small intimate actor are used to set the wintertime in an attractive perspective.

I am in a learning process with my DSLR camera. (Canon 550D T2i) It takes time to get familiar with it.
I tried to shoot from different viewpoints and angles to give the scenes some variations in the perspective.

The film is a bit childish. Maybe some children will like it?

I will be pleased to get sincere comments.

Cole Seidl January 12th, 2011 12:28 PM

Finn-Erik,
I loved this one. We both use the same camera, and I was blown away by the images you got from it.
The whole video was classy, professional, and fun at the same time. I'd call it whimsical more than childish.

Your images are great, and you blended documentary/fiction very well. I felt very happy by the end of it.
Great job on this one!

Henry Williams January 12th, 2011 12:57 PM

It really was ridiculously charming. I loved the use of the bear and the shots throughout were beautiful. It was genuinely fascinating to learn about the Spark itself as well. We could have done with some of them in England last month!

My only very slight caveat (entirely IMHO) is that it felt like the second half could have been very slightly shorter. But then again what we were seeing was so pretty and the story so well told that I don't think it really mattered.

Lorinda Norton January 12th, 2011 01:15 PM

Finn-Erik,

Henry chose the correct word, although, charming barely begins to describe this entry. Such a cold environment, yet it warms my heart to no end.

The well-timed shot of the bicycle started me smiling, then I really smiled the first time the bear turned to watch the lady enter the building. It was then I realized I was in for more than a documentary-type film.

The varying camera perspectives kept me interested through the longer segments right after she and the bear left the store. I agree with Henry that on first viewing I wondered if that portion could have been cut shorter, but watching it again I changed my mind.

Then there is the suspense! I loved the way you built it and I started chuckling out loud in hopes of a great ending--which, of course, you provided.

Thank you so much for this film, and for giving us such an entertaining glimpse into your world.

Lorinda Norton January 12th, 2011 01:22 PM

I forgot to ask my questions! Having just received the t2i I didn't have the courage to try it out with this challenge. Did you attach a viewfinder to it? And how did you focus? The few tests I've done with these near-sighted eyes have given dismal results focus-wise, so I'm a bit concerned about whether or not I will be able to use it for video without a follow-focus and a person doing it.

Henry Williams January 12th, 2011 01:26 PM

Lorinda, apologies for taking things slightly off topic, and for posting a link to another forum, but does the thread below look like it might be of any use?

[link removed by mean old Lorinda so we keep advice in-house] :)

Catherine Russell January 12th, 2011 01:32 PM

Hi Finn-Eric

Your video was such fun, a great story, informative and your camera shooting with interesting angles and perspectives was splendid! The ending was amusing and cute and added so much to the narrative. I thought it was fabulous!

You are such a filmmaker!

Sincerely,

Cat

Lorinda Norton January 12th, 2011 01:32 PM

Thanks for that, Henry; sorry to have to remove the link. :) I don't think the diopter is my problem, only the finer details I need for manual focus are too hard for me with what I can see on the screen. And, of course, if I'm outdoors it is nearly impossible.

Henry Williams January 12th, 2011 01:35 PM

Not a problem. Completely understand :)

Finn-Erik Faale January 12th, 2011 03:01 PM

Cole, Henry, Lorinda and Catherine:
I am happy because you liked the film.
Thank you so much for nice comments. You are all too kind.

Lorinda,
I was delighted when I found a LCDVF viewfinder under the Christmas tree.
The magnifying helped me doing the manual focusing.
I have also selected the “fast” auto-focus and the centre focus point (photographic sensor).
I think this is the safest way of focusing if I am unable to do it manually.
Some scenes are shot from the ground. The angle of the viewfinder is not adjustable, so I had to lie down in the snow to get a look.

Trond Saetre January 12th, 2011 03:03 PM

Hei Finn-Erik,

This was funny! I loved the (un)happy ending. Reminds me of the good young days as a kid.
And the honey sequence really made me laugh.
I like the different camera angles, especially the low ones which brings it down to a child's eye height or even lower.

Good, entertaining story, with a matching soundtrack.
Well done!

Andris Krastins January 13th, 2011 05:27 AM

Hi, Finn-Erik!

A wonderful entry, very charming, as others have already mentioned!
Thoroughly enjoyed your shots with the bear.
And very informative - I didn't even know such a vehicle existed, lovely invention.
Camera work was excellent and I didn't notice anything wrong with it.

My only problem was with the long middle with no text just after the shop. It seemed too long and unnecessary, but that's just me.

Alan Emery January 13th, 2011 08:02 AM

Hi Finn-Erik,

I remember when I was very young (we lived on the north shore of Lake Superior then) the local native people had sleds much like this only a little bigger and sometimes but not always pulled by dogs. My dad decided he would make skates for us on the same principle (two-bladed skates) so we would be more steady on our feet. When the temperature was relatively warm (just below freezing to about -10C) they worked, but below that the ice was like concrete because the weight of our little bodies was not enough to melt the ice under the blades.

This was a charming story about a traditional way of getting around in the winter -- a change of perspective from the more "modern" and less healthy transport by car. And I loved the ending because we could feel it coming so it made the anticipation even better!

Alan

Finn-Erik Faale January 13th, 2011 03:54 PM

Trond, Andris and Alan,
Thanks a lot for your interesting comments.

Several have commented the long sequence after the shop. I can agree with this complaint.
It was not in my mind when I was in the editing phase.
Such comments are valuable for improving as a videomaker.

Lorinda Norton January 13th, 2011 05:26 PM

Finn-Erik,

When I think back on this round of entries yours is the one that first comes to mind and puts a smile on my face. The images and the gently funny, heart-warming feeling you captured turned out to be a wonderful gift from you to all who view your film. Thank you.

Thanks, also, for the tips on the camera. Looks like I will be ordering a viewfinder soon! :)