DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/)
-   -   Feedback - Dating with Dick (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/503759-feedback-dating-dick.html)

Dick Mays December 21st, 2011 02:21 AM

Feedback - Dating with Dick

I'll put this up now, film to post tomorrow. Not that I have much to say about this one...

Chris Barcellos December 22nd, 2011 11:45 AM

Re: Feedback - Dating with Dick

I found it quite funny.... Starting with a very suggestive title ! Points out some things about experts on TV, they don't know much..

Dick Mays December 22nd, 2011 04:04 PM

I'll add a link to the movie to make it easier. Need to get a fancy Vimeo account next time.

Dating with Dick - Episode 6 - YouTube

Chris, what's suggestive about the title? This is a family show.

Finn-Erik Faale December 22nd, 2011 04:49 PM

Dick, this was a funny video. The box is excellent.

Simon Wood December 22nd, 2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Mays (Post 1705344)
Chris, what's suggestive about the title? This is a family show.

Har har.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect with the title; I think it could have gone any which way. But I'm certain I wasn't expecting this surreal comedy, talk-show, self-help, special effect driven, mutant show! Wow. It was weird man. I think if I watched daytime TV on mescaline it might look something like this (and I mean that in a good way)!

Watching this was like watching a train derail in slow motion; but I like the way you kept a straight face as you steered it expertly over the cliff! Very droll. Your expression while Misti was talking was priceless.

I'd like to see you in a 'Borat' type situation interviewing people who are not in on the joke; that would really take it to the next level.

How about the box thing, was that done in AE or something?

Dick Mays December 22nd, 2011 09:08 PM

Simon,

The box was aftereffects. I watched a tutorial on the web, and drew my own nice guy. But I ran out of time to do the 3D lighting of the cube as I intended. But I substituted the translucent effect to make it a little more mystical. Wanted to add a little glowing blue light to the box, but Sunday jumped up on me and I had to get it in! Glad you enjoyed it. You do like watching train wrecks, don't you?

Henry Williams December 23rd, 2011 07:19 AM

Hi Dick,

A great entry that had me squirming and laughing at the same time. It really reminded me of the Eugene Levy, Christopher Guest etc "A mighty Wind" style of comedy, on which note kudos to all the performers, who were uniformly excellent and sold their parts very well.

Henry

Marj Atkins December 23rd, 2011 07:35 AM

Dick this is simply outstanding!

The acting is brilliant, the story is really funny – with subtle, understated humour - and the production is masterful. An excellent take on the drivel that so-called experts put forward in this kind of show.

Thanks for the wonderful show - really had a good laugh.

Dick Mays December 26th, 2011 10:08 PM

Merry Christmas. My friend, Joe Pesci tells me I need to address a few remarks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1705285)
Points out some things about experts on TV, they don't know much..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wood (Post 1705352)
I think if I watched daytime TV on mescaline it might look something like this

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marj Atkins (Post 1705468)
An excellent take on the drivel that so-called experts put forward in this kind of show.

Don't know much? Mescaline? Drivel? Let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it’s me, Maybe I’m a little f***ed up maybe, but how am I being funny? The Silverback theory is serious stuff. How am I funny? Am I funny like I’m a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? What do you mean funny?

Dick Mays December 27th, 2011 10:07 AM

Sorry. I was watching goodfellows on Netflix last night. Thanks for all the kind remarks! Please ignore my wine induced humor.

Lorinda Norton December 31st, 2011 12:03 PM

Don't know how many times I've watched this with the idea of offering feedback, only to get called away. So I watched it again just now and laughed again in the same place--when the co-host labels the second type of guy and the feeble bleep only accentuates the name. (Ironic that the gal says there should never be namecalling but sure lets that slip out easily enough.)

Love the cube! It was worth all the work you put into it. And you did a great job of "working with it" on air. Have to say I find it interesting that the ideal guy is a gorilla...

The caller from last week was a great idea for making it feel like a series in progress. Would you mind explaining in another way how burying the teddy bear was supposed to work? Was he not supposed to actually give her the teddy bear?

Audio seems to be a bit distant. Did you have one mic on a boom for both people?

Bottom line: If this was an actual show I think I'd watch it. Could be a cult classic! :)

Trond Saetre January 2nd, 2012 02:31 PM

Hi Dick, didn't have a chance to watch your show until today.
This was funny! I'd like to see more episodes.
Well done!

Dick Mays January 9th, 2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 1706670)
Don't know how many times I've watched this with the idea of offering feedback, only to get called away. So I watched it again just now and laughed again in the same place--when the co-host labels the second type of guy and the feeble bleep only accentuates the name. (Ironic that the gal says there should never be namecalling but sure lets that slip out easily enough.)

Love the cube! It was worth all the work you put into it. And you did a great job of "working with it" on air. Have to say I find it interesting that the ideal guy is a gorilla...

The caller from last week was a great idea for making it feel like a series in progress. Would you mind explaining in another way how burying the teddy bear was supposed to work? Was he not supposed to actually give her the teddy bear?

Audio seems to be a bit distant. Did you have one mic on a boom for both people?

Bottom line: If this was an actual show I think I'd watch it. Could be a cult classic! :)

Lorinda,

I had one LAV mic on Karissa, and set a shotgun on a stand for me, but as I turned to talk, the audio flucuated. Better to buy another LAV mic. You have a good ear and catch all my audio miscues.

The silverback theory is my own explanation of what women are looking for in a man. I once had a bar conversation where three women told me there were only three types of guys, Losers, Assholes, and Nice guys and women were forever having to choose between them. I surmised they were attracted to the dominance of Assholes, but still appreciated the Giver behavior of Nice Guys. It is easy to be a submissive giver and equally easy to be a dominant taker, but it takes some work to be a dominant-giver. I alternated between Nice Guy and Asshole behavior as a young man, so the theory to be a dominant giver is not a joke. I coined the term Silverback as a name, since women didn't have a name for the dominant giver, and wrote a book about it that I never got published. But the story of the big bear is real.

A friend was locked out of his house by his wife, and he told me that she would not forgive him no matter what. I told him pictures were more powerful than words, and suggested he find the largest stuffed animal he could and take it to her. He was convinced she would throw it off the porch. I told him, if she does that, just bury the bear in the front yard as if he died of a broken heart. The neighbors would talk about that for weeks, and every woman in the neighborhood would help convince his wife how lucky she was to have such a romantic husband. In real life, he never buried the bear. The bear got him back into the house and 15 years later, they are still married.

But it is always a funnier story when things go terribly wrong!

Thinking about making a few more episodes and seeing if I can build a following for the silverback theory.
Thanks for your feedback!