DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/)
-   -   Tales of Wonder and Woe - Charity Film Challenge 2012 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/512521-tales-wonder-woe-charity-film-challenge-2012-a.html)

Kevin Railsback December 4th, 2012 06:26 PM

Tales of Wonder and Woe - Charity Film Challenge 2012

Thought I'd beat Trond to this thread this time around. :)

Had the whispers of an idea last night. Starting to gel a bit more this evening. Running it past a friend of mine to see if there are holes too big to fill or if the story doesn't flow well. Waiting to see what she says before I get too excited about this idea.

Already thought of and discarded two other ideas just because I know I couldn't pull them off in twice the amount of time given.

With work I have about an hour of daylight to film every day. Some of the locations I'd like to shoot at require about a ten to twenty minute hike and then setting up the gear.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don;t have to work this weekend and that the weather is nice so I can get out and shoot.

Trond Saetre December 5th, 2012 04:17 AM

Re: Tales of Wonder and Woe - Charity Film Challenge 2012

Ah, Kevin, how did that happen. :)

Seems like we both will have an issue with available daylight this round.
I'm thinking about making a night film, but no clue how to make that possible. Kinda few power sources for any lights in the middle of the woods.
Oh well, still plenty time to figure out something... or come up with plan b, c, d... :)

Hope everyone do well.
And remember, all players must strictly follow uwol rule #11 at all times:
Have fun!

Lorinda Norton December 7th, 2012 02:24 PM

It sure is quiet around here! I hope that means that every one of you who signed up is busy working on your entry! Trying to get some info out of Dylan on the donations to give an update.

How is everyone doing?

Kevin Railsback December 7th, 2012 06:16 PM

Filming tomorrow. Weather is turning crummy after that so may be my only opportunity to film before the deadline.
No clue what I'm filming yet, just know that I'm filming. :_

Bill Thesken December 7th, 2012 06:43 PM

Dang it, I was working on my little comedy entry, needed some timelapse footage to make it work, had a great window of opportunity and weather to film, then my shutterboss malfunctioned, must have had a short, wouldn't turn on, smelled like plastic was burning and the 3v CR2 battery heated up, tried 3 different batteries and the same thing happened so I sent it back to BH Photo today and I have no plan B, yet...

Lorinda Norton December 8th, 2012 01:59 AM

That's too bad! I am really in the mood for a comedy. Hoping and trusting that a plan B will come to you soon, Bill.

Trond Saetre December 8th, 2012 05:01 AM

Still haven't shot a single frame.
Have an idea, and hopefully I can shoot my entry next week when I have a few hours available during daylight.

Kevin Railsback December 8th, 2012 09:01 AM

Yeah, this short amount of available daylight is really hampering things.
Normall I'd have quite a bit of time after work to go out and shoot. Now the sun is setting by the time I get out of work and drive anywhere.

Chris Barcellos December 8th, 2012 12:36 PM

This is beginning to sound like the Challenge that was too challenging. I am having time issues myself.....Have an idea, but weather killed it here all week.

Mike Sims December 8th, 2012 12:44 PM

Kevin- At least you can brag “entirely shot during the golden hour”!

I’m not able to play at all due to scheduling. With this theme I know you guys are really going to shine. I’m looking forward to watching.

Lorinda Norton December 8th, 2012 03:28 PM

With all these tales of woe, and with such a small number of you brave souls even attempting this, Dylan and I have agreed to extend the deadline! You now have until DECEMBER 31 to submit your entries!!

Hoping with the extension we can free up a few more shooters (Mike Sims??) to join the fun. :)

Trond Saetre December 8th, 2012 03:32 PM

That's a most welcome extension of the deadline.
Daylight will be found and films made. Wohoo :)

Mike Sims December 8th, 2012 06:13 PM

“(Mike Sims??)“
Ha! Sounds like a challenge to be Challenged. I’m tied up until after the twenty-first, but if my idiot brother-in-law turns out to be wrong and a comet doesn’t land on my head then perhaps I’ll be in with a chance.
Wohoo :) indeed.

Kevin Railsback December 8th, 2012 09:40 PM

Well, it SHOULD be golden hour but with all the grey clouds it's more like DUD hour. :)

Went out and filmed today. Got some footage shot today. Not everything I wanted but there was a reason why the number of shots was limited. But, I'm ok with that. So I'm sure I'll probably get dinged for it, but it is what it is. I wouldn't have pushed for extra shots regardless.

Kevin Railsback December 9th, 2012 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Filmed a bit yesterday and wanted to put some of the footage in the editor to see if it flowed at all. Well, got all kinds of dropouts. After messing around with some stuff it looks like my graphics card on my laptop if wonky.
I ordered a new MacBook Pro but it won't get here until the 14th-17th. Without the extension, I would have been dead in the water!!

Here's a frame grab from some footage I shot the other day after the sun had set.
It boggles my mind that there is such beauty out there and in the past year that I've filmed at the nature center I've encountered less than a handful of people.