DVD Cover Software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old August 16th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #1
Tourist

DVD Cover Software

At the risk that feedback on this topic has been given time and again - I ask for your pardon in advance. But I am new to the videography business and would like suggestions on software that would help me create customized covers/inserts for DVD cases. I am shooting events like weddings, sweet 15/16 and anniversaries.

Thanks much!
Valentino Lascano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Valentino,

It depends on your skill level and how deep you want to get into this. You can generally find entry level software for this at Staples and other stores. If you want to have total control over it, you could use Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop.

With a nice background collection and a basic program, you should be able to make some nice looking packages fairly quickly. Just use a maximum of 2 or 3 font faces (sizes are another story) and keep it classy and elegant. :)

Eric
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #3
Trustee

Also Nero 7 has a cover design section as well as Roxio media creator.

Stelios
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #4
Major Player

Good point. The all-in-one apps like you mentioned, combined with a good background collection are probably all that most people would need. The real trick is knowing when to stop adding effects, colors, fonts, etc. Usually less is more with design.

I assume they still make the CD Stomper Pro. I bought mine back in 1998 and it came with software for designing the disc labels and the jewel box inserts. I think I paid $25 or $30 for it back then.
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #5
Trustee

I use the free application from Meritline. I build all my graphics in Animation:Master and then put them it the app as jpgs. It works out well because it handles the print formatting for the Meritline photo glossy covers that I use. Using graphic authoring tools would do the same.

Or, there are templates for a couple of the document processing apps such as MS Word that you can use that are provided by the paper mfgrs.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #6
Trustee

I exclusively use Pixelmixer in combination with Photoshop CS3.
Look here: http://www.pixelpops.com/
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #7
Regular Crew

photoshop

photoshop is your friend, I have been doing wedding for 7 years. In the last year i have learned how to use CS2 and now i use it all the time it is wonderful tool and not only is it great for making covers but meuns and all sorts of other stuff also. I would highly suggest learning it, buy a book, dvd, or take a class and then just spend time working with it. I will promise you, you will thank yourself over and over a million times.
The first thing that I do when I get to a wedding is talk to the photagrapher to see if I can get some pics from them for the covers and stuff and of course I give them credit for there work.
Good luck
Brandon
Brandon Potthoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Paper labels on DVD's are not a good idea as over time they can cause a lot of playback problems by making the DVD spin unstable. Get an Epson or Canon printer and print directly on Ink Jet printable DVD's. Epson comes with a printer program and will also allow import of image too.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Paper labels on DVD's are not a good idea as over time they can cause a lot of playback problems by making the DVD spin unstable. Get an Epson or Canon printer and print directly on Ink Jet printable DVD's. Epson comes with a printer program and will also allow import of image too.

Ron Evans
Ron, he was talking about case inserts. ;)
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Ooops!!! Yes I have now read again!! I use Nero Cover designer too.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring