HP vs Epson DVD Printer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #16
Major Player

I have switched from an Epson R300 with continous ink flow system to a HP D5160, and my conclusion is that both brands are worthless in CD/DVD printing.

The Espon R300 heads get clogged too fast. Even when you print on a regular base.

And the HP D5160 can not be lined out decently like the R300.

In the future I'm going to order a Dymo DiscPainter.

http://global.dymo.com/enUS/DiscPainter/default.html
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #17
Major Player

I could not find out the cost per disc for the ink on the Dymo unit, does anyone know?
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #18
Major Player

I am not sure of the cost per disc but the refill cart(which from the looks of it looks like the size of an HP or another standard cart) is 40.00. So with the improved resolution(which I for one am not really doubting or impressed with because I think it starts to get to a point that you really cant tell the difference on that size of disc), it's going to run through those little carts I am imagining like crazy. Which for inkjet definately has to be thrown into the equation. After all what good is 20,000 dpi if you can only print 10 discs? LOL So honestly, my next printer will more than likely be another epson on CIS once again. With the CIS I have gotten the quality printing(that I for the longest have been creating disc templates in photoshop at 600 dpi and then printing them from either there or the Epson Print CD application, both with great results) and resolution with the cost savings of a Laser printer.

But for 280.00 I think the technology is cool, but I have had great results with the Epson. And for the clogged heads, I think in all honesty have turned my printer off 5-6 times total that I have had it. During occasional power outages, of course it has gone off but, other than that, the thing is on and ready to go. I haven't had clogged heads, but then again I print on a regular basis for the most part(In the last month I have been at home and not but when I did go home to print a disc after 3 weeks of the printer sitting there I just popped a disc in and printed without an issue).

Honestly, alot I have found boils down to how people maintain and treat things. Especially with the printers. My friend went through a few of the Epson trays and two printers until she saw how I load mine and she has been running hers fine for the longest now. The only thing that I worry about is that I read drom my CIS supplier that the newer epsons they have redesigned some things so there is a different way the system has to be installed. I think this is wth the R260 on.

The CIS systems really do make a huge difference and if you get "A GOOD ONE", or should I say a good brand they are pretty amazing.
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #19
Major Player

I currently have an epson with CIS, I turn it off for weeks at a time, then use it nonstop for hours at a time. it has not yet clogged up after a years use. I had a previous model epson, I had to clean it for an hour or so each time I needed to use it. I am always open to new ways to speed up my process, I like the idea of printing a disc in 60 seconds

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring