DVD Replication at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old June 23rd, 2003, 12:37 PM   #1
Trustee

DVD Replication

If you have ever gotten DVDs replicated in bulk (as opposed to DVD-R duplication), would you mind posting who you used and your experiences with them? I'm looking for a replicator and there are SO MANY choices on the Internet, it's mind boggling.

The one I'm considering closest is affordable-dvd.com, http://www.affordable-dvd.com/. They have the absolute best prices on DVD-9 (1,000 for $1190, including shipping!) but I'm a little concerned about their scarce client list and lack of DVD Video logo ANYWHERE on the site.

The other one I'm considering is Acutrack, http://www.acutrack.com/. Their deal is 1000 DVD-9 for $1350, $160 more than Affordable-DVD but their clients include AT&T, HP, Mazda, and Canon, so I'm a lot more comfortable with someone like that.

But if anyone has any input, I'd be very grateful. I plan to submit on DLT masters, made with an old copy of Spruce Maestro (still the best).
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #2
Trustee

Let me put it this way - has ANYONE used DVD replication and what have your experiences been? Thanks.
Old June 25th, 2003, 08:34 AM   #3
Major Player

I haven't used a service yet and I continue to examine the options.

From your post, it's hard to tell what you are getting for your money. I'm looking for a DVD in an Amaray-style case (aka "Safe Box") with 4-color outsert and 4-8 page 4-color insert. Then there is the issue of whether to have it shrink wrapped, whether I need to enclose a theft detector, and whether I need that little white label across the top with the barcode. All these things affect price. Not all of the companies can do all these things. And on the security device issue, I haven't been able to determine whether I can get away with just one or whether different retail chains want different ones.

Disc Makers (www.discmakers.com) wants $2,490 for 1,000 DVD-5 in a safe box, 3-color printing on disc, 4-color outsert, packaging, and shrinkwrap. Inside manual is extra. Shipping not included. Premium for DVD-9.

My budget uses $2.49 per disc as a baseline and I think it's pretty fair given the small quantity. If my project flies, I'll be able to drive the price down with quantity. At 10,000, the price drops to $1.57.
Yeah, this is daunting.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 09:50 AM   #4
Trustee

I only want 1000 DVD-9s in bulk, and possibly a short run of outer wraps (which some places will do). So basically I'm only interested in the pressing service right now, and the best deal seems to be 1000 for $1.35
Old June 25th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #5
Wrangler

There is a $300 device that allows you to hookup several DVD burners to burn DVD-R (I think it also works with other types of DVDs. You still have to supply the burners but the machine does not appear to be that expensive.

I haven't tested one yet, but the principle is sound.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 02:03 PM   #6
Trustee

That is called duplication, and it doesn't work for DVD-9 (dual layer). Also, using DVD-Rs runs you the risk of certain players not being able to read your disk.
Old June 28th, 2003, 08:56 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Peter,

I bought some independently produced dvds from amazon.com. On the back of the dvd near the inside ring they have some info from the duplication houses.

Chicago's Metra-An Up Close Look at Chicago's Commuter Railroad Trains DVD: has atozmusic.com listed.

Experience Southern Costa Rica:

costaricadvd.com is their site which links to 542east.com which does dvd duplication too.

I did have another one I found that linked to the first site you mentioned affordable-dvd.com. Not sure if I still have that or if it was a netfilx dvd.

Hope this helps,

Jed
Jed Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2003, 09:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Oops! I meant to say replication houses not duplication houses.

:)

They are on DVD-5's & 9's
Jed Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2003, 11:52 AM   #9
Trustee

Jed,

Thanks for the info. The place I'm likely going with is Acutrack. They recently lowered their base price on DVD-9s to $1.24 per disk for 1000, which is amazing. Plus, they'll do short run or long run printing of outerwraps. Only $300 to get 1000 outer-wraps produced with offset printing. Their clients are also really high profile: Canon, HP, Pricewaterhouse, Mazda, etc., so I feel a lot more comfortable with them than others.

I'd still love to hear if anyone here personally has gotten a DVD replicated and their experience.

Thanks.

Peter
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring