if an NTSC DVD works perfectly on a PAL player, is it ok? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old January 7th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

if an NTSC DVD works perfectly on a PAL player, is it ok?

I'm trying to fix a bunch of NTSC DVD's to be sent to the US but I only have PAL equipment to test it on. I made an NTSC DVD and seem to have gone through all the right steps and if I test it on my PAL stuff (a few DVD players and my Playstation2) it works perfectly.

What are the odds that there are still going to be screw-ups on NTSC players?

Hope to get a fast reply because I'm in a bit of a tricky situation, customers waiting and all, thanks!
Reese Leysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

HI Reese,

Most DVD's in Australia will play back NTSC as well as PAL, I'm assuming Europe has the same standards as the UK which is the same as Australia. Check your instruction manual to see if it has this function.
David Tindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Reese...........

Watch out for the "Gotcha" with this.

Most Pal equipment will play back NTSC content no problems. Most NTSC stuff will not play PAL at all.

Does that mean your NTSC format stuff will have a problem in the US? Who knows, there could be a PAL "something" that's crept in that can't be seen because the hardware is sorting it out.

Bottom line, unless it's been tested on a proper NTSC only system, you won't know if there's going to be a problem.

Bit of a bugger, but there it is.

Unless it's tested good, it possibly ain't.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Watch out for the "Gotcha" with this.

Most Pal equipment will play back NTSC content no problems. Most NTSC stuff will not play PAL at all.

Does that mean your NTSC format stuff will have a problem in the US? Who knows, there could be a PAL "something" that's crept in that can't be seen because the hardware is sorting it out.

Bottom line, unless it's been tested on a proper NTSC only system, you won't know if there's going to be a problem.

Bit of a bugger, but there it is.

Unless it's tested good, it possibly ain't.

CS
Alright, thanks :) .
Reese Leysen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring