Using a PAL DVD player in France? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 4th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Using a PAL DVD player in France?

Hi there,

If I took a PAL DVD player from the UK and tried to connect it to a French TV using composite video, would it work?

I am a little confused. I understand that France uses SECAM but I've also definitely played PAL DVDs on French DVD players. Also, as I understand it, almost all modern TVs are designed to auto-detect if the input is PAL, SECAM or NTSC and switch accordingly. Is this correct? (i.e. manufacturers only make one TV which can be used in all territories - it saves them from having to build different hardware for the different territories).

Any help would be very greatfully received!

Many thanks,
Jack
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kelly View Post
I understand that France uses SECAM but I've also definitely played PAL DVDs on French DVD players.
To be completely accurate, a "PAL DVD" should be called a "576i/25 DVD" and could be considered as much a 625 SECAM DVD as a PAL one. The signal recorded is component, and the PAL/SECAM decision only gets made when a COMPOSITE signal is derived from it.
Quote:
Also, as I understand it, almost all modern TVs are designed to auto-detect if the input is PAL, SECAM or NTSC and switch accordingly. Is this correct?
A lot are, though I wouldn't like to generalise. Certainly a lot of French TVs are able to handle PAL as well as SECAM.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Excellent reply, thank you.

So, if I understand correctly: is the SECAM/PAL distinction not applicable to component (YUV) and RGB connections?

Many thanks,
Jack
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kelly View Post
So, if I understand correctly: is the SECAM/PAL distinction not applicable to component (YUV) and RGB connections?
Exactly so. SECAM/PAL really refer to the way the U and V signals are combined, modulated, and put on to a carrier for combination with Y to give a single cable connection - composite. Remain component, as with Betacam or any modern digital format, and the only difference between PAL/SECAM equipment is the composite output.

"PAL" tends to get used to refer to 576i/25 in common usage, but PAL-M (used in Brazil) is a 480i/30 system (same as NTSC) but with PAL colour coding for transmission of the composite signal.

There's no definitive answer to your actual original question - "If I took a PAL DVD player from the UK and tried to connect it to a French TV using composite video, would it work?" - the answer is probably "yes", but it would depend on the individual TV, means of connection etc
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #5
Major Player

Great, thanks for the excellent explanation. Good, technical stuff.
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring