DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   DVD-9 Replication (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/11961-dvd-9-replication.html)

Peter Moore July 12th, 2003 04:01 PM

DVD-9 Replication

Has anyone here ever gotten a DVD-9 replicated? I am having terrible trouble finding a program that will take a large DVD compilation (VIDEO_TS directory) and put it on two DLTs as required by the replicators. Maestro is supposed to work, but it won't accept my DLT drive. DVDIt Pro works for <4.7 GB disks, but that doesn't help me for dual layer.

Any ideas? Thx!

Rob Lohman July 14th, 2003 03:52 AM

Try talking to your replication facility. They might know software
that works good for DLT authoring. Keep in mind that using DLT
is only done in the professional world so you will need professional
applications like Scenarist etc. to be able to make a DLT (as you've
already found out).

I must say it strikes me as odd that they only accept DLT. I've
heard that most companies now-a-days also accept DVD-R's
as source (two for a DVD-9 production) [which don't have to be
burned as a DVD-VIDEO but can be just DVD-data] or a harddisk.

Peter Moore July 14th, 2003 09:49 AM

Even if they accept DVD-R, the problem is, once again, separating the layers properly. You can't just split up the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder arbitrarily; the software must set a layer break point. This can be done with Maestro, but only at the disk image creation phase. I will need very expensive software to get this onto the DLT properly.

As for why they only accept DLTs, it is clear that the replicator machines accept them or sometimes DVD-R Authoring, but not DVD-R general, and getting material from DVD-R to DLT is a big pain in the ass (as I'm seeing).

If I can't get Maestro to work with my DLT, it'll be DVD-10 creation for me, which I can do, thanks to DVDIt Pro.

Rob Lohman July 14th, 2003 09:58 AM

Are you sure you need to set a layer break point? Can't you just
create the structure on a harddisk (with ~ 9 GB of a VIDEO_TS
map) and simply put the first half of the VOB's + IFO's on a DVD
data disc and the other half on another? They can then make
an actual disc IMAGE on their end.....

Otherwise I don't have any more tips for you. Sorry.

Peter Moore July 14th, 2003 11:12 PM

Nope, someone has to set layer break points, and it needs to be done with care to the movie. You don't want to set a breakpoint in the middle of a scene, because it's noticeable.

I can do what you suggest if they then have the software to take the image and set the breakpoint. But Maestro, for example, needs the Layout file in order to set the breakpoint (it cannot simply set them from VOB and IFO files). If they're using Maestro, then it would be no problem, but I don't know what they're using, and everyone so far has said it either costs a huge amount of money for them to do the transfer, or that it can't be done at all.

Rob Lohman July 15th, 2003 07:41 AM

Just contact the facility where you are going to do this. They
surely must have had these kind of questions a zillion times.....

Peter Moore July 15th, 2003 03:37 PM

Wow, turns out they have Maestro, and as long as I give them the .LAY file, they can do it for $95 (which is cheaper than the cost of the DLTs and SCSI adapter and everything else I'd need).

Rob Lohman July 16th, 2003 03:51 AM

See, told ya <g>

Glad you got it resolved!