Talking buttons in DVD studio pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 26th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Talking buttons in DVD studio pro

I am soon going to have to design a DVD menu page for visually impaired people. The producers of the DVD have asked that I design a menu system that speaks the content of the menu button as they move their selection on the button in the menu. This is importnat to them as they cannot see what the buttons say. Is this possible with DVD studio pro.

thanks
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Andrew,

I haven't done this myself, but my guess is that you could do this with scripting. There is a register (SPRM 8) from which a script can query the currently highlighted button; a script using this register could be assigned to the menu.

If you are not comfortable with scripting, you could "cheat" by making several identical copies of your menu (one copy for each button) and use the "Auto Action" feature. The action would be to play an audio asset with the name of the next or previous button, and then end-jump to another copy of the menu with the respective button highlighted. It would be pretty labor intensive to maintain this if anything changes, but I guess it could work.

- Martin
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Martin for the script advice. I had heard of the menu to menu suggestion, but I think I might prefer the script route, probably run a lot smoother, just need now to work out how to write it :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring