? for those with Epson R1800/800 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old August 19th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #1
New Boot

? for those with Epson R1800/800

Are there any problems with printing on the Taiyo Yuden watershields? I was reading a post on some random forum and the guy said the pigment ink would smear easily. He also went on to say that they were scratching when the printer ejected the DVD and that they scratched easily. What are you guys' experience with these and other printable DVD's that are worth noting? Also, can you gloss print on matte DVD's? Does the gloss optimizer waterproof these in any way?
Mark Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I use 2 R200s for along long time andthe TY watershield are 100% the best playing and best looking dvds I have ever used.
I have not experienced any problems with scratching or smearing andI print a lot of full face discs.
I used to print matte finish Verbatims andspray them with a gloss finish and while they looked good I was always paranoid about getting spray on the playside plus the time it took to do made the switch to TYs very easy.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for your input Don, however the R200's are dye based ink, not pigment based like the r800/1800/1900/2400. How does the detail compare from the matte to the glossy DVD's?
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

yeah I thought about that after I posted. Sorry bout that.

I love the detail the glossies give. It just looks finished.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kang View Post
Are there any problems with printing on the Taiyo Yuden watershields? I was reading a post on some random forum and the guy said the pigment ink would smear easily. He also went on to say that they were scratching when the printer ejected the DVD and that they scratched easily. What are you guys' experience with these and other printable DVD's that are worth noting?
I generally buy the cheapest bulk printable media (promedia) and never have had a problem. I've never used Taiyo Yuden watershields so I can't comment on their performance.

Quote:
Also, can you gloss print on matte DVD's? Does the gloss optimizer waterproof these in any way?
The R800 will NOT print gloss optimizer on dvd media.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #6
New Boot

I read that you cant print gloss optimizer on the dvd. Does anyone else know how the pigments hold up to water, they do well on paper
Old August 27th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #7
Trustee

Pigment inks are 100% waterproof.

Check my reviews here

Digital Photography at photo-i
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #8
Trustee

I don't think pigment inks from my R1800 are 100% waterproof on printable disks, close but I could still get a little smudge with wet fingers after 24 hours.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #9
Trustee

Try a different brand of disks, the inks should be totally waterproof.
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring