CS3 how to put a video on the dvd at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 5th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Major Player

CS3 how to put a video on the dvd

Sounded so simple but I can`t get it to work. I have a file 1440x1080 1.33 PAR in Premiere. I tried using premiere to export to Encore and burn straight to disc. Not sure really what settings I should use. The DVD burned, but plays different on every DVD player in the house. One playes a few seconds then blocks then a few seconds then blocks, etc...another plays it fine but everything is shifted to the left (I may have chosen widescreen in premiere I don't remember) and then on my computer it played fine, looked lower quality than on the tv and only had maybe 2 spots where it glitched with blocks.

How should I go about this? It doesn`t seem it should be hard. Video in premiere just needs to go on a DVD for a local film festival.
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi,

It sounds like you can just File>Export>Export to Encore>Settings

Which will bring up the Adobe Media Export Settings.

Depending upon the length of your show, you probably could just take the default settings.

NTSC Widescreen, Medium Quality (I wouldn't be too concerned about Medium/High)

720x480
48KHz, 16bit, PCM
7.00Mbps VBR, 1Pass, Target 4.00

Quality 3

=======

You can tinker with the settings, even use a Progressive Widescreen, too, depending upon your goals.

----

My best,

Mike
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

is 720x480 going to make for a good looking dvd?...ive been keeping all of my projects at the full 1440x1080, and they look like crap on dvd....maybe thats becuse i'm using Movie Maker...i am yet to et decent advice about dvd authoring on MM until i get a better NLE

chris
Chris Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Light View Post
is 720x480 going to make for a good looking dvd?...ive been keeping all of my projects at the full 1440x1080, and they look like crap on dvd....maybe thats becuse i'm using Movie Maker...i am yet to et decent advice about dvd authoring on MM until i get a better NLE

chris
Hi Chris,

Unless you are using Blu-ray or HDDVD (May it Rest in Peace), your output in DVD will be in NTSC will be 720x480 in an MPEG2 compatible format in either WAV or AC3 (Dolby) audio. That's the specification; it is what it is.

Making it look good is something else.

If it looks good as HDV, it should look good as DVD, assuming a good bit rate for the encoding and a good piece of software to encode it. Movie Maker isn't a particularly good choice for an NLE, but then you get what you pay for.

TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0 is good for the price for encoding and Sony Vegas is great for editing.

Good luck.

Mike
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks Mike...that's exactly the direction i'm heading in! but does Vegas still need a separate encoding program like the one you mention, or can it hold it's own for dvd authoring/encoding?
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Light View Post
thanks Mike...that's exactly the direction i'm heading in! but does Vegas still need a separate encoding program like the one you mention, or can it hold it's own for dvd authoring/encoding?
Hi,

Sure, it can. But if you're pushing the envelop beyond two hours and still want to put content on a single layer disc, you might want to invest in an additional encoding tool.

My best,

Mike
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

nah, no epics here...i do 5-10 minute short subjects...your input has been very helpful to me Mike, thank you.....love this site!
Old September 10th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #8
Trustee

Chris... In the interest of saving you money, if you have and like CS3, you should get good quality DVDs from Encore and the AME. TMPEGEnc is a great transcoding tool and I think there's a way to frameserve from Premier but I've never tried. By adding TMPEGEnc, you might boost your quality. It's cheaper than Vegas.

But... before you do that, try Mike's suggestions. I have authored SD DVDs from HD Premier projects with great success with none of the problems you've had. Not saying I've not had problems but they were more of a "learning-curve" nature than from the technology. I got through it and I expect that you will too. A cup of Peet's and a bucket of patience will help.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring