How long should chapters be in a feature? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 21st, 2003, 07:35 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Haven't had the chance to see Russian Ark yet, unfortunately, but I will probably straight out buy it on DVD to own as it sounds like a remarkable achievement in filmmaking.

Say what you will about the actual MOVIES on them (and I happen to quite like both in some respects, though more the second one) but two excellent DVDs utilising chapter selection are the ones for Star Wars Episode I & II (and hopefully when the Classic Trilogy gets released it will use the same model)... Episode I has about 50 scenes, Episode II is a similar configuration. Chapters are usually only a few minutes long at the most. This really enables you to go straight to your favourite part and skip the scenes you don't like.

Phantom Menace

1. Opening Logos
2. The Phantom Menace
3. Short Negotiations
4. Queen Armidala
5. Landing on Naboo
6. Jar Jar Binks
7. Otoh Gunga
8. Boss Nass
9. The Planet Core
10. Invasion of Theed

etc

To me, that is excellent. I think chapter length has to vary, there can be no hard and fast rule. For my films, I would probably break them up into thematic changes.

*shrug*

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring