DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   DVD labels: safe ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/15900-dvd-labels-safe.html)

Gints Klimanis October 17th, 2003 03:31 PM

DVD labels: safe ?

Hi,

I would like to use DVD labels rather than buy a new printer
to print on the DVDs. On the DVD Usenet groups, the consensus
is that DVD labels increase read errors due to imbalance and peel-off issues. One of my friends sold hundreds of labels printed with an ink jet. I have one of them, and it works. Has anyone tried using them and run into problems?

Gints Klimanis October 17th, 2003 03:33 PM

Also, does anyone have a good source for labels?

http://www.onlinelabels.com/ol1200.htm

I've read about super-thin, super sticky clear labels that work for DVDs. Unfortunately, the Usenet poster wouldn't reply to my inquiry for his label source.

Jeff Donald October 17th, 2003 03:49 PM

I quit using labels about a year and half ago, too many problems. I think the reliability has gotten worse as the price of DVD players has fallen. My guess is cheap DVD players don't track as well and have worse tolerances in general. I hate to say it, but inkjet printers are a much better solution if you're doing any volume of DVD burning.

Gints Klimanis October 17th, 2003 03:58 PM

Jeff,

Thanks for the comments. Are you suggesting the purchase
of inket printers with the disk tray? Have you ever used one of these ? My friend gave up on inkjet printers and switched to labels. Overall, I've heard people tell a negative story similar to yours.

Jeff Donald October 17th, 2003 04:44 PM

I have a friend with an Epson 960 (I think that's the model) and I use it to print DVD's when I need high quality appearance. Otherwise I use a Maxell marker made for labeling.

Peter Jefferson October 18th, 2003 05:20 AM

i use lebels only AFTER i have tested a labelled disc on the clients machine. If it works, i then ask them whether or not they want labels. usually they say yes. So as its tested and works and the client has agreed, thats when i use em.
On top of that it helps to make sure the media is compatible with their player... jsut recently actually, i had a client whos machine wouldnt read DVD-r, but it DID read DVDRW... strange but true..

on the other hand, if i am doing bulk, i use plain white unbranded dvd-rs with no labels or prints. As i do weddings, the clients are usually happy with the white look.

Labeles work, and they dont.. it depends on teh media (whether its branded or not) as to whether the lablel will peel or fade.

usuing unbranded (or unembossed media) allows one to get rid of the air bubbles and allows for an easier application.

Printers are obviously the best way to go, however you are restricted to unbranded media which can be troublesome if your supplier runs out, or the clients machine doesnt like them....

Arnaldo Paixao October 20th, 2003 05:34 AM

Hi Gints.

Welcome to the label mistery tour!

These gentlemen are true. The best is not to use labels at all, but (there is always a but), when you see the clients reaction to a nice labeled DVD and a plain one, things start to get complicated.

The disandvantage of using DVDs for inkjet is, like it was said before, your margin to use diferent brands and types of media is demineshed. Getting inkjet media is not as easy to get as regular blank DVDs.

The trick with labels is to apply them so they are perfectly centered (an off center label will induce vibration and the player starts to have trouble reading the DVD). But, even with a perfectly centered label, you can have reading problems with some players.

I use Lorenz Bell Photo Quality Glossy labels, and although they are thick, they give me much less troubles than others I'v used before.

The applicator I use is the one bundled with some Avery labels. It looks like one of those plastic round things used to play single vinyl records. The trick is to put some thin office tape around it so the hole of the label will slide with minimal tolerance.

Best regards,
Arnaldo