TDK 440N DVD Burn Problem & Fix at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old November 17th, 2003, 03:12 PM   #1
New Boot

TDK 440N DVD Burn Problem & Fix

Hello All:

I have a new TDK Indy burner (440n) installed in my homebrew computer. It is a G-Force Blue box with a P4 Intel running 2.53 MHz. Also has 1G of Ram. OS is MS XP

The TDK is suposed to be able to burn all flavors of CDs and DVD's up to 4X. The TDK was dying on DVD - R and DVD - R/W but all other media was fine. I was trying to burn from both Adobe products and Pinnacle with exactly the same failure. The disk (-)would burn for about 1/2 inch then fail with a media problem. This made it hang for about 15-20 minutes. Interestingly, the first part of the video was viewable!?!

TDK kept suggesting beginner level fixes such as updating FLASH ROM and trying other media. I had already done that but was still making piles of coasters. I finially switched to R/W (-) media that I could erase and start again.

The problem is the supplied Roxio CD-R drag and drop utility that makes the system think all (-) media is a CD rather than a DVD!

I uninstalled all of the TDK supplied software (Roxio) and re-installed with the manual install mode and turned off CD Drag and Drop. I also turned off the XP built in Drag and Drop.

Now I can burn DVD-R and DVD-R/W with NO PROBLEMS.

Seems the ROXIO D&D was messing with the drivers that the video burn programs address directly. (Adobe and Pinnacle do not use installed front end programs like Nero or Roxio.)

Hope this helps anyone else with similiar problems with the TDK 440n multi-format drive. This cost me almost two weeks of experimenting.

Regards, Dan Kautz
Old November 19th, 2003, 09:33 AM   #2
Major Player

"I also turned off the XP built in Drag and Drop."

How did you do that?
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #3
New Boot

Arnaldo,

Right click the DVD drive icon in "My Computer". Select "Properties" at the bottom of the list. Click the "Recording" tab. Uncheck the "Enable CD recording on this drive."

You loose the drag and drop for data files but you can still make data DVD and CDs through Nero, Roxio or other non Drag and Drop third party software.

You may want to experiment if you need to turn this off or not. I assume if you have a second CD only drive in your system, you can leave it on for that drive.

Regards,

Dan Kautz
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Daniel.

I asked about it because I was having problems with DVD recording with NERO, beeing:

After telling NERO to burn the DVD image file, it would take ages to calibrate the laser and burn the lead in, after that it would burn the DVD, and when I tried to play it, the player would give an error code saying the disk was dirty. If I inserted the blank DVD in the burner, reboot the PC, start NERO and burn, it would come out OK.

I suspect that my problem could have to do with Auto Insert Notification or XP built in drag and drop.

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:41 AM   #5
New Boot

Arnaldo,

Hope it helps. I was scanning every DV board for clues even if they weren't exactly my problem. You never know where the answer may be found...

Regards,

Dan

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring