DVD label template at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old April 8th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD label template

Can anyone direct me to where I might find a template to make my own DVD case label to insert into a thin dvd case?
Kent Jakusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Trustee

There are so many, hard to give you a specific answer. Google "jewel case template" and you will find a bunch, some specific to Microsoft Office, Photoshop, etc. There is an app from Avery for making labels for the DVD itself (using their labels, of course) that iirc is free...also iirc Microsoft Publisher has a lot of such templates included.../Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Trustee

Be careful if you intend to print labels that stick to the DVD's. I have had many failures with these. All of which didn't fail initially, but after about 6 months, they seemed to "cup" the DVD's, (I suspect it was the adhesive doing something strange). Once that happened, playback was sparodic to say the least if they played at all. I now only print on DVD's & since then, in the last 3 years, i haven't had a single disc go bad.
Regards,
Bryce
Old April 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Inner Circle

As I read the post the OP is referring to DVD case wraps not the DVDs themselves
Old April 8th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Trustee

Yes agreed, i just wanted to put that out there.
Bryce
Old April 9th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks but more questions

What printer is best to print on the dvd disk itself. I have a Canon MP530 inkjet, which is a all in one. I found a internet site that offers a slide in tray for this printer for $20.00 with the directions. All is well until i get to the actual print command/paper selection and the option for CD is not available. I have tried all of the options presented with no luck. I am at a loss for a solution. Tried Googling in every way I can think and sent email to party from which I purchased, no response yet.
What is the opinion on the laser (light seeker?) that actually burns an image on the label side of the disk?
Thanks for the help!!
Kent Jakusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #7
Inner Circle

You might need special software. I have an Epson and it came with some "Print CD" software along with the special tray. That software does nothing but design and print discs. It's very limited but you could design your disc art in a real program like Illustrator and then import it into the Print CD application.

The other option is Lightscribe, but you need a Lightscribe burner and special Lightscribe discs (expensive), and you can only burn one color.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #8
Trustee

DVD case label template

I took a slim DVD case and opened it up, laid it flat so the outer front, spine, and back were face up. Then used a ruler to measure the dimensions I would need to cut down to and slip under the acetate cover. Turned out to be 7 3/16 x 10 7/16 inches.

With those measurements I used the "stroke" (on the edit pulldown menu) command in PhotoShop (Elements) to make a black outline of the outer edges and saved that as a "template".

I saved this as "slimcasecanvas.jpg" and call it up whenever I need to make a jacket cover. As long as I stay within the black outline I can layout text and images on both the front and back. Generally the spine is so thin I don't try to put anything there although I have done it a couple of times.

For "quick and dirty" case labels I use regular paper but where I want it to look snappy I use HP Presentation paper which is a tad heavier and meant to print on both sides to make brochures. It makes a very good looking case label.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent S. Jakusz View Post
What printer is best to print on the dvd disk itself. I have a Canon MP530 inkjet, which is a all in one. I found a internet site that offers a slide in tray for this printer for $20.00 with the directions. All is well until i get to the actual print command/paper selection and the option for CD is not available. I have tried all of the options presented with no luck. I am at a loss for a solution. Tried Googling in every way I can think and sent email to party from which I purchased, no response yet.
What is the opinion on the laser (light seeker?) that actually burns an image on the label side of the disk?
Thanks for the help!!
In the US, the Canon printers have the Print CD feature disabled. You have to modify the firmware to trick the printer into thinking it is on Europe. It is easy to do.

Canon Printing on CD Media

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:49 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
In the US, the Canon printers have the Print CD feature disabled. You have to modify the firmware to trick the printer into thinking it is on Europe. It is easy to do.

Canon Printing on CD Media

John
That's what I did with my IP4000. I really like Canon printers too. Since then I bought an IP4500 just for my documents and keep the IP4000 exclusively for art. I think the tray sells for $30 or so on eBay.
Brian Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:50 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent S. Jakusz View Post
Thanks for the help!!
Look up the guy on eBay (his store there) that sells the trays for Canons - there'll be a link to a site with instructions - damprinter.com Generally, Canon sells some models of printers with CD label printing capbility - but disables that functionality when sold into the US market - and of course they don't include the tray either. What you do is to reset the printers firmware to a different region - say the UK - and then download the cd-labelprinter software from Canon UK. I've done this with my Canon MX850 and it works just fine.
Gene Gajewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring