Need help with a clip that is not showing 16:9 after DVD burn. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old November 29th, 2003, 06:54 PM   #1

Need help with a clip that is not showing 16:9 after DVD burn.

Need help with a clip that is not showing 16:9 after DVD burn.

Need help with a clip I am importing. It was filmed on a PD150 with 16:9 settings from there it was imported into a Windows computer using Adobe Premiere 6.0 where it was edited 720 x 480 without 16:9 or widescreen settings at all. Then it was exported to a DVCAM tape which then I imported it into a Mac running OS X using FCP 4 here are the settings:

Frame Size: 720 x 480 Pixels
Editing Timebase: 29.97 fps
Field Dominance: Lower (Even)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: NTSC - CCIR 601 / DV
Anamorphic 16:9: On
Video Processing: YUV allowed (8-bit)
White Point: White

Compressor: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC
Millions of Colors (24 bit)
No Data Rate Limit
No Keyframes Set
Quality: 100

From there I exported out in QuickTime Pro compression as an MPEG2 to which then I imported into DVD SP 2 where all the setting are set to 16:9 letterbox not Pan & Scan.

Problem is the DVD comes out on my DVD player as 4:3 on the Mac it looks widescreen.

All ideas are appreciated (except to sell the Mac and get a PC)

Thanks
Old November 29th, 2003, 07:38 PM   #2

Part 2

I tried on the computers DVD Player and it works, then on my wait for this my daughters PlayStation and it works great. Now on to the one I paid good money for a Pioneer DVD Player it looks like 4:3.
Could the Pioneer have gone belly up… as it will not play a VCD or a CD so this could be the culprit.
Old November 29th, 2003, 09:01 PM   #3
Wrangler

This may be something you've already done, but on your DVD player there should be a system menu item where you identify the type of TV it's plugged into. Choose either 4:3 or 16:9, depending on what type of TV you have. Otherwise you can experience the sort of problem you describe. For example, with a 4:3 TV set if you set the DVD player for 16:9 the anamorphic image will fill the screen and appear too tall and skinny. But if you set the player for 4:3 it should automatically letterbox your 16:9 video.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring