DVD Disc Disclaimer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old December 5th, 2003, 07:44 AM   #16
Wrangler

Trond:
I've recently had the opposite experience! See the format war thread that I posted in the DVD forum.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 09:40 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Danny.

When I sugested 7000 bitrate I assumed you where using higher than that. If you'r using lower, most of the times its ok.

Try HP (Hewlet Packard) DVD+R media. That's what I use with good results.

Do you put labels on your DVDs? If they are not exactly centered, and I mean exactly, you'll shurely have trouble.

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 11:51 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi Arnaldo, I am using 6000 bitrate for Mpg2 to create DVDs.

I read also through another forum that paper labels can also cause problems because the paper and adhesive add weight to the disc and somehow affects to spin.

Someday we will get the DVD-Making so simplified and there won't be anymore challenges.
Danny Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Robert:
I checked out your other "format war thread".

I agree that all DVD-ROM players accept both DVD+R and DVD-R. Never had any problems there.
And yes, same price differences here in Norway, the DVD+R costs more than DVD-R.

However, with stand alone DVD players, my experience is that some older players don't play both +R and -R.

I have also had an opposite situation with my own JVC XV-521 stand alone DVD player.
According to the manual, this player should not support DVD+/-R. But it plays both formats without any problems.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 01:28 PM   #20
Inner Circle

>I agree that all DVD-ROM players accept both DVD+R and DVD-R. >Never had any problems there.

This is definitely not true. None of my Sony or Toshiba DVD-ROM drives from pre-2002 recognize DVD+R. I had to hunt around to find a Hitachi DVD-ROM and plug it in to read a DVD+R. Even so, it had trouble copying the contents of a DVD-ROM to my hard drive as the data reached the outer portions of the DVD+R .
Also, my Pioneer A04 DVD-RW won't recognize DVD+R. So, I'm also guessing that all pre-A06 units don't do DVD+R without the latest firmware upgrades. Like, who but the technically elite will do such an upgrade ?

Check this list
http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Compatibility.asp?mid=0&sid=2

This list includes at least one DVD-ROM drives that I own (Toshiba SD-M1612) that doesn't recognize DVD+R but is still listed as so.
I suspect that the drives tested are those with the latest firmware available for that product and thus does not reflect the
capabilities of the drives shipped with ealier firmware.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 11:09 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Gints:
Seems like I did not have the correct information about DVD-ROM.

According to a friend of mine who is working for a computer shop, almost all such tests are done with the latest firmware updates. That might be the reason why your Toshiba drive won't play DVD+R.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring