Thermal DVD/CD Labeling at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 16th, 2003, 09:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Thermal DVD/CD Labeling

I've had trouble with DVD/CD tracking and the use of stick-on labels as well as Sharpie pen labels. To avoid the cost of direct-to-CD/DVD inkjet labeling, and to avoid its tendency to smeer, I've been advised to use Casio's $90.00 thermal labeler. Seems like a real bargin. Another 'pro' is that I hear that the ink doesn't smeer and that there are no tracking problems. Cons - It uses only one color per disk (Black, Blue, Red, or Green) and constrains your label to about an inch tand a hald tall block above and below the center hole of the disk. Given the low cost I"ve decided to try using one. NOW MY QUESTION: Does anyone out there use one of these? Are all thermal printable blank DVDs the same?
Dan Gutwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 11:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Dan,

I haven't used one, but am interested what they produce. "The cost of inkjet labelling?" There are alternatives under $200 dollars (Epson 900, I believe) and as for the smear they make a sealent you can apply after printing so they won't smear. Depending on your use, I would spend the extra $100 and go the inkjet route...hopefully Santa Claus will look nicely on me and I will have a Epson 960 to report on after christmas...

Clay
Old December 16th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I bought one when they first came out, Used it for a little while but I then realized that it's limited capabilities doesn't make it very useful in the real world. Not many clients want only a few lines of text all in the same color on their discs. Most of them want Logos, graphics and color which this device can not really handle. Its a perfect device if you want to quickly label discs at home to make them look good instead of using a sharpie, but in the real world they aren't useful. Mine has been sitting in a box for the last few months. Which brings me to my next point and why it is sitting in a box. I discoverd the Epson 900 printer than allows you to print directly on Inkjet Printable CD's. Since I got this my casio has never been used. The only drawback is that the CD's aren't waterproof, not that you should be dumping water on your CD's anyways. I was used to using the Signature Pro printers (we have 4 of them at work) and the Epson to me gives better quality than the $1500 Signature Pro printers. Unless you need watrerproof CD's and DVD's I would go with the epson. The casio by the way is waterproof under most conditions.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Jason and Dan,

Here's the link to the thread which the spoke of sealing the CDs or DVDs after they have been printed:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17995

This would waterproof them and give a more professional look to the CD/DVD...a solution for all!

Clay
Old December 16th, 2003, 01:22 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

I agree with Jason. I have a Signature III at work and an Epson 960 at home. I'll take the output of the 960 over the Signature III any day. These new CD printers are very easy to use. At this point, I don't know why anyone would use labels instead.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 01:38 PM   #6
Major Player

Edward and Jason,

What software are you using to do these inkjet direct-to-cd labelling? What comes with the 900 or 960, if anything?
Thanks.

Clay
Old December 16th, 2003, 02:46 PM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

To print on the DVDs, I'm currently using the software that came with the printer. It does an adequate job and allow pictures, text, backgrounds...

To print everything else, I'm using PageMaker or Word or Notepad...
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring