kind of interesting. Burn your DVD labels directly on the DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 8th, 2004, 12:41 AM   #1
Wrangler

kind of interesting. Burn your DVD labels directly on the DVD

www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,114211,00.asp
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #2
Contributor

I didn't know anybody actually stuck labels on discs anymore. We've been doing CD's for a couple of years now using a duplicator that has a robotic arm that loads the discs from a stack of 100, then when the disc is burned, the arm grabs it, puts it into the printer tray where the label is printed. We use the CD's with labels already attached. They're common and cheap in bulk. I do like the idea of burning directly into the disc instead of an inkjet printed label, but it's certainly not necessary to stick labels on anymore, as their info says.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #3
Major Player

I think its a great idea. Yeah, unlike the article implies, the stick-on labels have been outdated. But the average consumer also doesn't want to pay the few extra cents to get inkjet printable discs, then pay for a cd printable printer on top of that. Of course quality difference may also be a factor. I'm curious to see this burner in action.
Old February 9th, 2004, 09:59 AM   #4
Wrangler

I thought that this had already appeared once

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=19725

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #5
Major Player

I use a vendor for mass replication and still use labels... look the best. (check out most movie discs.... labels... 600dpi as good as screen.
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #6
Wrangler

I don't think I have a single Hollywood movie with a paste-on label. They all are silk-screened.

PCMag has a picture of a burned disk coming out of the new HP DVD burner. Interesting effect. Not certain I'd want to give it to my customers though.
Old February 12th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #7
New Boot

DVD duplicated, Insert professionally printed and disk silk screened for about $2 each for groups of 1000 or about $4 each for groups of 500.

Of course if you are only doing 50 then I guess it makes sense to do each step yourself.
Michael Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 05:40 PM   #8
Major Player

wow.... I've gone back and looked again and I don't know what's what anymore... I have produced several disks for large clients and have more recently turned to 600dpi stickers as they are just nice. Looking at Legend (ridley scott), American Pimp, and my 300dpi Finlandia disk I cannot tell them apart... I do know that my disk with the label is much better quality and the label is not noticably thicker than the screen process if that's what those are... other disks include Diner, and Punch Drunk Love.... note this is not one of those Disk Stomper self applied label... those do suck.
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring