DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   DVDs on a PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/22284-dvds-pc.html)

Cannon Pearson March 2nd, 2004 06:58 PM

DVDs on a PC

I burned some files for a client onto DVDs in Toast 5.2 on a Mac and they cannot read them. I believe that they only have PCs in their shop. I was under the impression that any computer with a DVD-rom drive could read them. Does anyone know if there are cross platform issues with DVDs in Toast?

I'm pretty sure that I checked them before I sent them out and that they read fine on my computer, so I don't think it was an issue with the disks(at least not when they left the studio).

Gints Klimanis March 2nd, 2004 07:11 PM

Most PC DVD-ROM drives can read DVD-Rs and fewer DVD+Rs.
Which did you burn? If you passed your clients DVD-RW or DVD+RWs, the compatibility drops even lower. While I've had
good experiences with my DVD-Rs, I've received some from commercial sources that do not work on DVD-ROM drives, or at least, need several insertions and about five minutes to startup.
One such case was attributable to a finger smudge on the disk.
Overall, I believe that the DVD-R problems were due to low quality.

Which brand of writable DVD do you use? Also, did you test your
burned disk?

Cannon Pearson March 2nd, 2004 07:49 PM

The discs were DVD-Rs from a reputable name(Maxell maybe, but I'm not sure).

I vaguely remember testing the burned discs. I usually put the burned discs back in the drive and try and open a couple of files.

This client is the first one that could not read the discs. They asked me if I burned them on a Mac, which led me to believe that they are totally PC. Neither one of them worked at all. I've had individual files get corrupted before, but I've never had two discs be totally unreadable.

George Ellis March 2nd, 2004 08:33 PM

If you are using Maxell's, there should be no issue with the media. Are you sure they have a DVD player in their sets? They may also have a much older DVD that does not support anything but DVD-ROM. Does your DVD play in a settop player?

Cannon Pearson March 2nd, 2004 08:48 PM

They weren't video dvds. They were burned as data files to be read on their computers.

George Ellis March 2nd, 2004 09:11 PM

XP natively supports DVD data disc. All other Windows OSs need something like WinDVD or other DVD software loaded (although, I did not test W2K after SP2 for this). It may be that they are using an older OS or you may not have finalized the 'burn'. Otherwise, it could be their readers.

Cannon Pearson March 2nd, 2004 09:33 PM

I can't believe that a design agency wouldn't have some way to read these discs. Tomorrow I'm burning them ten CDs to replace them.

Thanks for the replies.

Sharon Fraats March 3rd, 2004 10:49 PM

Go back to Toast and choose from the tabs on top "DATA"from the menu then choose to the left "UDF". This will allow for the reading of the DVD.

If this does not work then choose from Advanced ISO9660 as this works every time for PC computers.

Jack Xiong March 13th, 2004 01:36 AM

The world is windows.