DVD -> DivX/WMV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 7th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #1
Major Player

DVD -> DivX/WMV

Hi,

I have some old DVD:s that I made way back on my old computer. I don't have the original tapes or AVi:s left - but I can copy my DVD:s to my HDD ( getting the video_ts and audio_ts ) folders, but now I'd like to re-render them to maybe DivX or Video for Windows, are there any easy way of doing this?

I guess I have to convert them to MPEG2 and then the new format?

Tips on procedure and programs to use is much appreciated!

Best regards,

Lazze Z
Old March 7th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

DVD2AVI

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 02:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Rob,

I had totally forgotten that progam - used it 4-5 years ago!

// Lazze
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:34 AM   #4
Major Player

You have another option to consider. Play the DVD to a VCR and capture the resulting tape through your camcorder to PC, if it supports AV-DV conversion. If you record it first you have a miniDV archive, if pass through you have a file to edit/convert. I use DVD2AVI and it's a great app but sometimes you have to further process the resulting AVI and it can be a toss-up as to which method is faster/cleaner. Of course, use S-Video if you have it, for the transfer to camcorder.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 08:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Actually, if you have DVD playing software on your PC, you have the ability to read MPEG-2 video streams.

I archive every video that I do onto DVD, and then delete all the source footage. Every once in a while, I need to convert some of these videos to WMV. To encode in WMV format, you must demultiplex the VOB's audio and video into their component streams. There are a number of ways to get your VOBs off the DVD (DVDDecrypter springs to mind). If your audio is in AC3 format, you will need to convert it to wav. Once that is done, you can import these files directly into MS Windows Media Encoder and convert to WMV.

If you want DivX, there are a number of good sites that tell you how to do it and even offer free tools to perform the job. Check out www.doom9.net and divx-digest.com for more info.

Let me know if you need more information.
Mark Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 02:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi guys,

Thanks for all you replies and all great info!

I used DVD2AVI, got avi+wav - re-authored it in vegas and made a new render.

Should be nice with a "single click" solution - I'll check doom9!

Once again, thanks!

Best regards,

Lazze Z

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring