24p & 30p on the same DVD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old May 6th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #1
Major Player

24p & 30p on the same DVD?

Discussing this with a friend and now I'm doubting myself. D'oh!

Can you put a 24p and 30p project on the same DVD with no issues? My figuring was that since it's all MPEG-2, there isn't an issue?

If I had a 30p project open right now, I'd burn a disc and try it out but I'm out of office!
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Trustee

NTSC DVDs are 29.97i, always. No matter what your source footage is, it's going to end up at 29.97 so that's not a concern.

Are you mixing the different framerates in the same timeline or are they in separate ones? I ask because my approach would vary depending upon the answer. If they're in the same timeline, I'd pick the framerate you want it to look like and go with that. With both framerates in the same timeline it's going to look funny jumping back and forth.

If they are in different timelines, create projects and edit using the native framerates. I know that Encore, and probably the other authoring apps will insert flags in the 24p footage that most DVD players will read and remove the pulldown so it looks like 24p.

I don't know what your workflow is but if you render out intermediate files from your NLE for import into your authoring app, stay with the native footage framerate. Your authoring tool will sort it all out for you.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm using DVD Studio Pro (Mac).

I'm not mixing framerates on the same timeline, rather I'll have one timeline with 24p and others will be 30p.

Sounds like this won't be an issue... and that's good to hear!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring