how many minutes of HDV 1080i on dual layer DVD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old June 13th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

how many minutes of HDV 1080i on dual layer DVD?

Editing in Vegas 8, how many minutes of footage can i fit w/o in HDV 1080 60i?
Martin Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't understand w/o ? HDV is about 12G an hour. So you will get about 40min say on an 8.4G DL DVD data disc. Remember this will only play in something like a PS3 or useful to transfer to some other computer. IF you want to make a Bluray format on the DL disc you will need to author in DVD Architect and convert the HDV to Bluray compliant file ( render preset in Vegas essentially VBR version of HDV) Again this will only play in some Bluray players and the PS3.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I want to make a 30 minute movie (via Vegas) recorded in HDV 1080i without losing the 1440x1080 resolution.

I'm new to this, but when I watch HD channels, my TV switches to 1080i mode.

I figure if I burn the DVD using DVD Architect in HDV 1080i when I pop it into my upconvert DVD player I will watch it in 1080i...

Correct?
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Upscaling DVD players only play SD DVD's that are 720x480. They upscale this video to 1920x1080 usually at 30P so will loose some temporal motion of 60i ( at least my PS3 does). The image has more interpolated resolution than the SD version but is nowhere near the resolution and quality of the 1440x1080i video. If you do not have a Bluray player then an SD upscaling DVD player will NOT play an AVCHD or MPEG2 HD ( 1440x1080i) disc. You need to make an SD disc ( 720x480i ) disc for it to upscale. If you really want to retain the 1440x1080 image then you need to make a Bluray disc and get a Bluray player, PS3 or something like the Western Digital converter boxes that play files from a hard drive WD TV HD Media Player ( WDAVN00 ).

Ron Evans
Old June 14th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ron thank you for the clear up!

I'm in the process of burning a single layer DVD with two 5 minute identical clips (HDV 1080i) one in HDV the other in SD to see the difference.

I guess for now I will shoot in HDV and use Vegas to render in 720x480. When the custumers get BluRay and HDTVs then I will redo the videos onto BluRay (if anything I said is not correct, please correct (once again, thank you for the info).

Martin
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #6
Inner Circle

many including myself have gone through trying to put Blu-Ray on a DVD. I couldn't get it to work, but yes its frustrating being able to shoot in HDV but having to output it as SD DVD. While I could buy a WD or Blu-Ray player, what purpose would it serve for me to output HD if my client doesn't have the means to watch it.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

ok just put 3 5 minute clips on a regular DVD (took about 30 minutes for all rendering using DVD Architect 5.0).

Clip 1 was SD DVD 29.97 progressive scan 9 mbit constant rate
Clip 2 was unedited from FX1 (HDV 1080i) (interlaced 60 fps)
Clip 3 was above but progressive scan rendered in Vegas

Clip 1 looked great
Clip 2 looked like artifacts were present
Clip 3 looked best

10 minutes of HD and 5 minutes of SD took up 1 gig of space.

Played on a 42" plasma (1080i), the tv never switched to 1080i mode like it does watching HD channels, it stayed in 480i (the Sony DVP-NS700H dvd player says it only upconverts via HDMI and my Tv is only component).

Next I plugged the dvd player to my 24" Acer LCD comp monitor via HDMI and when forced into a 1900x1080i resolution, Clip 2 (FX1 interlaced) still looked like it had a lot of artifacts (esp when the camera moved), Clip 1 (SD) look Ok, and the Clip 3 looked best.

I think until I get my BluRay player and burner I won't know for sure. It certainly didn't look the way I wanted it (like my HD channels) but I'm guessing that maybe I wasn't watching it on true HD media/format?
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

ok as a final test I used the component out part of the FX1 and hooked it up directly to the TV and played back the original tape.

TV now registers in 1080i and the image is AMAZING! Exactly what I wanted. No weird distortion no color loss, just pure HD!

So now if someone could help me figure out how do I get that amazing image onto a media (I'm starting to assume that I won't get that amazing image on a DVD and I'm going to have to get BluRay).

Besides resolution, is color/sharpness also affected by putting the HDV on a DVD and watching it SD? It seems once rendered the image looked distorted even watching it in MPEG 2 on desktop.
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I 'm still puzzled as to how you got the disc with the three different files on it to play in your player!! Your player can't play HD I expect DVD Architect rendered the FX1 file as SD with the wrong field order too so you were watching all SD. If you want to see HD from a disc player it will have to be Bluray( even if it is on a regular DVD). A normal Bluray player will need a Bluray authored disc. To play a disc with just files on it you will need a computer or a PS3( its really a computer in game box disguise).
Yes its not only resolution the colour standards are also different between SD and HD. You will not really see the same output as from your FX1( or any of the new AVCHD cams) unless you make a Bluray format disc. This Bluray format ( Bluray disc or normal DVD) will play in a Bluray player( there may be lots of compatibility if a normal DVD is used as not all Bluray players will play HD on DVD disc) so you may as well go the whole way and make a Bluray disc. Burners and discs are coming down in price.

Ron Evans
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #10
Regular Crew

yeah I just got mine on order. looks like b&h has blanks for $7 a disc. I also suspected that DVD Architect made the disc in SD because pretty much all of the videos looked similar.

I'm planning on shooting a movie for a friend with the Fx1 in HDV, and he doesn't have a HDTV or BluRay (will upgrade in the future) so I will author the DVD in SD, and when he does upgrade I'll re-author it in true HDV.

Once again, thank you for your help!
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #11
Inner Circle

You only need to author it once in DVD Architect and then just change the media. ( click on the media in the timeline, then in the information box choose media and change to the new files) Everything will stay the same as far as menus etc. You will need to change the project properties as well and then make the Bluray.

Ron Evans
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Wiosna View Post
So now if someone could help me figure out how do I get that amazing image onto a media (I'm starting to assume that I won't get that amazing image on a DVD and I'm going to have to get BluRay).
If you want optical media to play HD, then you're stuck with Blu-ray (since HD-DVD died.)

Other options are the WD-TV player (play from USB thumb drive or external hard drive) or Apple TV (plays from an internal hard drive.)
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring