DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   I heard this about DVD's.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/25411-i-heard-about-dvds.html)

Alessandro Machi May 1st, 2004 09:37 PM

I heard this about DVD's....

Hollywood DVD's are actually pressed (from a glass master) and that the combination of their being pressed AND having aluminium in them makes them more reliable then any other method.

Nick Jushchyshyn May 1st, 2004 11:46 PM

Also, this production method is rediculously faster that burning DVD's.

Think about it.
Less than as second to stamp out the entire disc on a press rather than writting out the data!

Most larger DVD runs are done this way. Hollwood or not. It's just faster, cheaper and also allows for reliable use of most copyprotection mechanisms. (Macrovision, for example, really doesn't work well on recordable media.)

One of my own DVD productions was duplicated this way for a 5000 disc run. Only 65 cents per disc, including a 3 color graphic painted directly onto the DVD.

Have fun.

Luis Caffesse May 2nd, 2004 01:25 AM

I'm only bringing this up because it is the topic of the thread...
(not trying to be picky)

'Duplication' is the term used for burning DVDs.
'Replication" is the term used for pressing DVDs from a glass master.

Alessandro Machi May 2nd, 2004 02:40 AM

The Replication versus Duplication terminology is a good point to bring up.

Rob Lohman May 3rd, 2004 10:20 AM

They are definitely more reliable.

Casey Visco May 3rd, 2004 10:31 AM

If you're doing anything intend for public distribution or a wide audience, having the discs manufactured or pressed is the way to go, as this ensures everyone can read it. Call me archaic but I still don't have a DVD player that can play DVD-R's, so I've thrown away A LOT of discs from people and companies that send those out.

Alessandro Machi May 3rd, 2004 10:38 AM

The entire DVD industry has flourished because of "pressed"/replicated technology.

DVD duplication is about to completely wipe out the VHS industry even though DVD "Duplication" (not replication) is nowhere near as reliable as VHS.

The DVD industry has not clearly defined and named the difference between Pressed DVD's and Duplicated DVD's the way that JVC created and maintained the "VHS" trademark.

Peter Moore May 3rd, 2004 12:37 PM

Sorry, but, this is news to people? :)

Casey Visco May 3rd, 2004 12:52 PM

Hah, evidently. I've been having DVDs pressed for quite some time for various projects I've worked on, but I understood the process long before DVD Burners ever hit the mainstream. A lot of people arent aware of the manufacturing processes behind things like this, so I'm not surprised.

Alessandro Machi May 3rd, 2004 02:43 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Moore : Sorry, but, this is news to people? :) -->>>

Which people are you refering to? You expect your customers to know the difference?

Peter Moore May 3rd, 2004 03:24 PM

I figured after the CD-R revolution everyone realized that the silver stuff you buy in packages is different from the technicolor discs you burn with your computer, for DVDs or CDs.

Alessandro Machi May 3rd, 2004 03:46 PM

I get phone calls, at least a couple a week where people who have DV, CD, or DVD, ALL call it DVD.

The customers will say things like "I have a DVD tape", "I have a DVD CD..."

Jake Russell May 4th, 2004 06:26 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Alessandro Machi : The DVD industry has not clearly defined and named the difference between Pressed DVD's and Duplicated DVD's... -->>>

Yes it has there are two spec's.

<<<-- Originally posted by Alessandro Machi : You expect your customers to know the difference? -->>>

No but authors should! then there won't be a problem right. I'm educating customers every day!

This has been covered on the board before a few times as you'd expect:

<<<-- Originally posted by Jake Russell :Ok dont say I didn't try and help you or someone else. If you replicate a disc it is totally different to duplicating it.

A replication facility will use the DLT to cut a glass master and make stamping masters.(Some replicators first verify the DLT formatting and check for spec compliance) The replicator will send you check discs made from the master, some may charge for this. Once you approve the check disc then they will carry on with the run.

Duplication is basically writing the info to disc like from a home burner as oppose to stamping. You can get duplication towers that can write several discs at once. But will have all the downsides of recordable media as you would expect.

Replication has many advantages over recordable media which I wont go into now, maybe others will. But if you replicate from DLT you can get away with higher bitrates, get higher compatibility and can have things like copy protection on the disc.

There is quite a bit to this topic but I hope things are a touch clearer, dvdland has it's own dictionary I'll find a link,

Jake -->>>

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13481

Also pretty much all 'hollywood' dvd's are dvd-9's, pressed from DLTs and authored in spec based apps.

Jake

Nick Jushchyshyn May 4th, 2004 08:36 AM

The authoring to DLT part used to be a significant fence to jump when deciding to use duplication vs replication just from the stand point of having software capable of creating the tape.

Now, Adobe Encore and Ulead DVD Worshop can author DVD-9 directly to DLT (maybe the new Vegas+DVDA can too ??) the technical obsticals to using replication are not nearly as costly to overcome.

There's still run-setup charges to contend with. What is it these days ? $250-$350 to go through the setup (3-color graphic, glass master, check disc, etc.) for a typical run? That may be tough to swallow for very small runs, I'm thinking the economics of replication start to beat out duplication before you even get to qty's of 1000. (maybe even 750?) And that's not even factoring in the benifits of compatability and reliability you get with replication.

Everything I've done to date has been either a big replication run or just one-offs, so I have no idea what it costs to do a duplication run of a few hundred discs. What are service providers charging for duplication these days ?? Or what are the equiment costs of duplicator/printer's now??

Anyway, just some more random thoughts.
Have fun.

Alessandro Machi May 4th, 2004 10:06 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jake Russell : <<<-- Originally posted by Alessandro Machi : The DVD industry has not clearly defined and named the difference between Pressed DVD's and Duplicated DVD's... -->>>

Yes it has there are two spec's.
Jake -->>>

My point is that the consumer is completely clueless to this fact yet the consumer has been led to believe that VHS is completely worthless.

<<<-- Originally posted by Alessandro Machi : You expect your customers to know the difference? -->>>

No but authors should! then there won't be a problem right. I'm educating customers every day!

Jake -->>>

I am too, but it can become draining after a while.