general questions on dvd production at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old August 8th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

general questions on dvd production

Hello,

I hope this is the good podium for my questions. If not, a recommendation would be much appreciated.

I am producing a DVD about butterflies of Hungary. Next to a main film which brings the user through the season and the National Parks I want to include footage of app. 150 species, each a 20-25 seconds. The main thing is that I want those clips to be navigatable (bad english, I know) per species. So I need to create a menu with 150 choises.

Is that possible? I mean can dvd players do this kind of extensive navigation. Or should I better group the species into families or genus, which would significantly reduce the menu list. Could I maybe start with, let's say, 7 families (7 menu choises) and having chosen a family a new menu appears with a list of the species within that family? Something like a family tree.

Thanks,
Rob
Rob deJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Trustee

The maximum number of chapters or menu items is 99 per VTS (video title set). You will need to break your production into more than one VTS. Most authoring programs have very limited capability in this respect - even the "pro" authoring programs.

DVD Lab Pro DVDlab PRO DVD authoring tool for advanced users provides a way to do this. There is a bit of a learning curve but it is a very powerful DVD authoring tool. It only support SD DVD authoring; there is no HD support.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

OK, thanks. Is the editing also done in DVDlab or can I use the sequences that I create in AVID Media Composer?
Rob deJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Trustee

DVD Lab Pro is only an authoring program. It has no editing capability. Just render MPEG-2 from you favorite editor and then load into DVD Lab Pro.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring