Initial Portable DVD Player. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old May 21st, 2004, 08:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Initial Portable DVD Player.

I bought one of these at walmart a few weeks ago. I bought the 7 inch widescreen version. One thing that makes me mad is that it wont use the whole screen. Of course when vewing a 4:3 it puts the black bars on the sides, but when I view a widescreen film it puts black bars on the sides and top. So I switched the monitor to use the full screen and what does it do? It just stretches the film horizontally, still leaving the black bars at the top and bottom. I read Initial's web site and they say that some dvds won't let you view them real widescreen, only letterboxed. But I have tried all my widescreen movies and none of them work right. They all do the same thing. So I'm thinking that I just got ripped off by paying more for a bigger screen that never gets used. Anyone have any input on this?
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:49 AM   #2
Wrangler

Black bars to the left and right is a bit odd (but my widescreen LCD monitor does this in one of its "zoom modes"). But remember 16:9 works out to a 1.78:1 aspect ratio. Theatrical films are in a variety of flavors such as 1.85:1 and 2.35:1. Both of these require letterboxing on a 16:9 screen. Then there's 1.66:1 which would need to be pillarboxed. Check the package of the DVD, or look at the technical specs on imdb.com to find what aspect ratio was used.

But then again, you did choose to buy a no-name Wal*Mart product.... ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 12:18 PM   #3
Contributor

Yeah, you gotta watch those Wal-Mart Third World products sometimes.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 06:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

See if your remote has a ZOOM feature, put it on 4:3 with the black bar on left and right and "zoom in" I've done this on mine and it makes it seem like normal. Initial is actually sold at BestBuy and Circuit City...so its not a completely cheapo brand
Tim Frank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring