DVDA 1.0 vs Dual Layer DVDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old July 11th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVDA 1.0 vs Dual Layer DVDs

Hi,

I've been gathering a little information on wheter DVDA 1 is able to burn dual layer DVDs. From what I learned, this is
not possible.

But what about authoring them in DVDA, specifying a larger project, and burning them seperately with Nero? Anyone tried that?

From what I understand the problem is setting a bit that is indicating changing the layers during playback. But can't this be done with Nero or another recording software?

Also, I'd like to hear from someone using DVD+R DL about compatibility in set top players. It still seems to be a major issue.
Sebastian Scherrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2004, 10:13 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

This is all brand new technology. Regular DVD's already have
compatability issues so you can bet that DL ones even have
more. Especially since there alsmost isn't any media yet and
only two drives or so.

Neither version of DVDA will support DL as does any other DVD
Authoring package out there at this point in time. The latest
version of Nero that COMES WITH THE DRIVE is said to support
it (the downloaded version DOES NOT!).

Whether or not this will work I don't know. I also don't know of
anybody who has tried.

Perhaps you want to try and report back?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #3
Trustee

Apparently you can use the Nero software to burn any 8.5 GB DVD project, so you should be able to use Adobe Encore or any other dual layer DVD authoring package to make your project and then use Nero to burn it. However Nero will not allow you to set the layer break. This can cause some very ugly playback issues if the layer break is in the middle of a scene, depending on your player.

The newest Roxio software is said to support dual layer as well.

I haven't tried this yet because the DL media is so ridiculously expensive. However there is a press release from Ritek stating that their DL media is shipping this month. Hopefully that will bring prices into the normal range.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:51 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yep as Peter said you can output a .img and use it in Toast or whatever to write to DL media but as Peter also said there is no control over which non-seamless cell is used. It's a straight data dvd and the mastering app will choose the break not the authoring app,

Jake
Jake Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:22 PM   #5
Trustee

Do we know if Roxio's newest product that supports DL will let you set the layer break?

I'm sure hoping Adobe and Sony come out with updates for Encore and DVDA that support DL burns directly and let you set the break.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 03:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

No it doesn't and app's aren't going to be in a hurry to update I'm sure as it's +R and therefor not part of the dvforum.

Jake
Jake Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #7
Trustee

I'm generally surprised to how poorly DVD+R DL is being received. I suppose it has to do with the price of the meida, but I still would've expected power users to be all over that. Instead the drives are selling for under $150 and software support is poor.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring