higher end dvd authoring software. an overshoot? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old August 5th, 2004, 02:45 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Because:

1. I know that there would be more hooo haaaa if they did.
2. I have a very very very small I idea of what is involved in getting SB implemented having spoken and worked with TFDVDEdit programmers and there is no way that DVDLab guys would charge $200 if thats what they had.
3. I know that there would be more hooo haaaa if they did.
4. There is no where on the sites I've seen:
http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/dvdlabpro.html or
http://dvdlab.net/dvdlab/dvdlabpro.html

that seamless branching is mentioned. Movie branching is Stories in dvdsp and not the same as seamless branching.
5. I know that there would be more hooo haaaa if they did.

I think I'm going to have to check that app out, the only problem is that they say it's a *pro* app but don't answer pro questions like if it supports writing to DLT(DDP/CMF), support for dvd-9 projects, region coding, copy protection and so on. That said it looks like a very good app for $199.

Jake
Jake Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 03:12 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Ok I now see seamless :-)

http://dvdlab.net/dvdlab/

Well they describe stories when they explain it, that is what it'll support not true SB. I'm downloading the demo to have a play though,

Jake
Old August 6th, 2004, 05:27 AM   #18
RED Code Chef

It doesn't smell good indeed. I couldn't believe they would have
it either. I know a bit about SB and how it works as well. Let's
just say that a Scenarist tech told me something along the lines
of: "we'd have to rewrite the engine to support it"

What I do find weird is that the program does not seem to
support multiple angles. Even in its Pro version or did I somehow
miss that part?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 05:43 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I guess it's easy to get excited about this stuff but when I saw the company themself say that you shouldn't use their app for commercial work I came back to reality before even opening the app! They say to use Scenarist or dvd studio pro type apps and not DVDLab.

I know at the end of the day there has to be reasons that SB is hard to come by, and that Toashiba have a dediacted encoder and system just for it!

Nope no multiple angles but they plan to add it they say. It's a beta app still and a small company so lets hope good things come for them even if they have to work up to the *pro* status.

I do like that they are trying to go the spec route and not offer all the bells and whistles that even dvdsp offers.

Jake
Old August 6th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #20
Trustee

thanks for checking out those links jake... it was maestro i was thinking of... i believe that it used to be a very expensive hardware/software package before it all got sold to apple... i think you can still get it used on ebay and such, and the software will run without the hardware, including preview capability if you have the right player codec on your pc.

oscar has indeed advised that the beta versions of dvdlab pro should not be used for professional authoring... but when they bring out the commercial version, it's gonna rock! there is also a great support forum for the product as well... some real hard core dvd guys post regularly there.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:12 AM   #21
Major Player

Hi Adi.

ReelDVD belongs to the Scenarist family. Look at it as the little brother. Their program base is the same, but ReelDVD costs much much less. It's not the easiest program to work with (nor Scenarist) but it will give you DVDs as reliable as Scenarist.

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I wouldn't be fooled by the Sonic blurb. As far as I'm aware it's 'built upon the same tried-and-tested DVD formatting technology' as Scenarist but that doesn't mean it has the exact same formatting engine! Also that's just the muxer anyway right?

I've got very limited knowledge of ReelDVD. Do you have control over the domains? FP, VMG, VTSM and VTS? Can you add pre and post commands to PGCs and not use the automatic programming? Do you have access to all the spec based navigation commands?

I don't think Scenarist has family! Maybe the diff versions, Studio-Adv. ReelDVD isn't a spec based app is it? It's a very distant 8th cousin maybe as it is made by Sonic but not really a family member.

Cheers,

Jake
Old August 9th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #23
Trustee

i don't believe that reeldvd has access to the command sets that you are referring to... why would they want it to compete with scenarist, anyway? the target market for reeldvd is simple corporate and event stuff.

imho, reeldvd is way long in the tooth, and pretty overpriced for what it's capabilities are... but it's very reliable.

various versions of the sonic dvd authoring engine(s) are in a whole bunch of pc dvd authoring packages.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Hi Dan,

thanks and I didn't think so. I wasn't trying to suggest that reeldvd was or should compete with scenarist. Just trying to get my head around the comment by Arnaldo in terms of this thread. As, as I've read things it's not been so much of a what should I use thread but more of a how does that work and how is that an advantage,

Cheers,

Jake
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:52 PM   #25
Major Player

Just curious but where does Adobe's "Encore" fall in the spectrum? Seems like a decent program to me.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 01:59 AM   #26
RED Code Chef

That is at most pro-sumer. This is not what you call a highend
authoring application.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #27
Major Player

Yeah that was what I was thinking but just wanted to check :) Thanks for the reply!
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring