Problems displaying DVDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old August 19th, 2004, 04:37 AM   #1
New Boot

Problems displaying DVDs

Hi,
I'm very new to DVD authoring. But I needed to put a movie I'd edited on a DVD for a client. I used ULlead's DVD program (it came with my DVD burner) and it played fine on my computer, but when I tried it on a table top DVD player it wouldn't play. I tried similar programs that I have on my pc: DVDiT, DVD architect and finally Adobe Encore DVD.

The first three programs went through the whole process of transcoding and then burning without and problems but the DVDs created couldn't be played and with DVDit and DVD Architect, the DVDs couldn't even play on my PC.

When I started the process of transcoding with Encore, it came up with this error message: OS error - '224' and that was the end of that.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing these problems. It's very frustrating that I have all these different software and not one can deliver.

Thanks
Abby Djin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 04:46 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

1) what is your OS?

2) why do you think this is a software problem?

Perhaps this is a problem with your DVD recordable media or
your settop DVD player since your computer plays it fine?

Some DVD media is not compatible with certain players. A lot of
(older) players have trouble playing back recordable media etc.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Rob,
my OS is windows XP.

I guess the 4 different authoring software can't be all faulty. So it could be the DVD-R drive. It's an LG make and I just bought it a couple of months ago. I burn CDs on it without any problems. the only error message I got was from Adobe Encore, but the other programs seemed to recognise the drive and burn fine, except I could only play the dvd on the computer.

I tested the dvds i created on 2 setups with the same result: it just wasn't reading them.

Come to think of it, I have had a couple of error messages when I burned some data dvds, saying 'cyclic redanduncy error?' This appeared when I tried to read the contents of the dvds. I just assumed it was a problem with the dvds themselves. I changed them and so far there's been no such error messages.

I might have to do a test with another dvd drive in place of what I have.
Abby Djin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2004, 08:52 AM   #4
Wrangler

Abby,

You might also want to try different media
Different burn speed (suggest 1x)
A few more settop DVD players.

Not all settop DVD players will be able to play -R disks, it might be worth checking http://www.videohelp.com/ to see if your settops are said to be compatible.

Its a tricky business trying to make a DVD that will play in every DVD settop player.

cheers,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring