How do I deliver my HD content? DVD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 15th, 2004, 10:01 AM   #1
Trustee

How do I deliver my HD content? DVD?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will a DVD release benefit at this time from HDV source material, or am I simply prepping for a future re-release?

Thanks
Old September 15th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #2
Contributor

I think mostly the latter. Of course there might be additional benefits in post because of the higher resolution aquisition (i.e., a progressive scan SD image derived from 1080i will probably look awesome). If your movie is short enough, you might want to try including the HD version in full resolution as a data file in WM9 or MPEG4 along with the MPEG2 SD version, so some people could watch the HD version on their computers and --someday-- on MPEG4 or WM9 enabled DVD players.

No such thing as stupid questions here, only stupid anwers, from time to time ;-)
Old September 15th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #3
Wrangler

Paul,

Ask yourself this question: "Why are features you get on blockbuster DVDs shot in film or HD?"

The better the acquisition, the better the results...even in SD DVD.
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

An HD DVD player was "announced" way back in January (see link), but as far as I know has never actually started shipping. We have HDV cameras, HDV editing software and a viable HD output format...and no good way to deliver this to customers except for playback on computers or on D-VHS. I'm still hopeful we'll see this situation resolved by the end of the year, but I'm getting tired of holding my breath...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/news_story_640.htm
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Shaw : An HD DVD player was "announced" way back in January (see link), but as far as I know has never actually started shipping. We have HDV cameras, HDV editing software and a viable HD output format...and no good way to deliver this to customers except for playback on computers or on D-VHS. I'm still hopeful we'll see this situation resolved by the end of the year, but I'm getting tired of holding my breath...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/news_story_640.htm -->>>

So, you're not aware of the Roku HD1000 media player?

I believe there are some other HD capable media players available....I just haven't checked 'em out.

There are also some HD out capable video cards - just so long as your HDTV has compatible connectors.....
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 07:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Crisdale :

So, you're not aware of the Roku HD1000 media player?

I believe there are some other HD capable media players available....I just haven't checked 'em out.

There are also some HD out capable video cards - just so long as your HDTV has compatible connectors..... -->>>

I think they are talking about what the mainstream Joe Six Pack "customer that will buy their video" has

I have a HD video card and watch my stuff this way on My 55" HD set but none of my customers do, even though the last wedding I shot involved a whole family that are hunting for last years DVHS tape players right now because they ALL have the HD sets.

we are not to far away folks , just pray they do it right and go dual layer ( or 2 hours) HD DVD at the same time or it will be sort of a waste.
Mark Paschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 10:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Steve: I looked up the Roku product and it appears to be designed to play still photos from memory cards, not high-definition video from DVDs. There are also some DVD players which claim to have HD output, but that's just an upsampling from standard-definition DVDs. What we need is the proposed HD-DVD players promised back in January at a retail price of $349, but not yet delivered to market. As of today the only practical way to share HD content I've seen is using the JVC D-VHS recorders.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring