Question about Divx (MPEG4) on DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 25th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Question about Divx (MPEG4) on DVD

Hello

I used Dr. Divx program to compress a 187MB mpeg2 video to 30.2mpeg. I forgot to check what format it has became after the compression but it does play in windows media player and also on divx player. At first I thought it might give me some crappy picture but to my surprise, the quality is awesome. I compared the origional file with the after but I don’t see any quality lost.

My question is, if I use the compress file (30.2) to burn to DVD, will I get bad quality or about the same as the original one?

Thanks
AP
Allan Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Question about Divx (MPEG4) on DVD

<<<-- Originally posted by Allan Phan : Hello

I used Dr. Divx program to compress a 187MB mpeg2 video to 30.2mpeg. I forgot to check what format it has became after the compression but it does play in windows media player and also on divx player. At first I thought it might give me some crappy picture but to my surprise, the quality is awesome. I compared the origional file with the after but I don’t see any quality lost.

My question is, if I use the compress file (30.2) to burn to DVD, will I get bad quality or about the same as the original one?

Thanks
AP -->>>

As long as you use a high bitrate (4000+) when encoding back to mpeg2, you'll have pretty much the same quality as the divx.

Keep in mind that this is all lossy so the more you do this transcoding it'll eventually deteriorate (repeat this process about a dozen times and you'll start noticing issues), but the immediate degredation is much less noticable than if you were using an analog copying method.
Patrick Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 05:51 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

Personally I would go with the highest quality I can, so I'm using
the original. As Patrick indicated you are doing an extra pass
of (lossy!) compression:

1. DV encoding
2. Divx encoding
3. MPEG2 encoding (for DVD)

But it in the end it all depends on how it looks to your eyes!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring