DVD-R plays in PC but not standalone player at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old November 15th, 2004, 10:16 AM   #1
Major Player

DVD-R plays in PC but not standalone player

DVDs I burn (both -R and -RW) play in my PowerDVD software but my Philips and CyberHome standalone players can't read the discs. Any general advice?

I edit video in MediaStudio Pro 7 and burn discs in Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 SE. The MPEG2 files are encoded @ 8000 kbps (single pass), 29.97 fps, lower field first, with audio as Dolby AC-3 2 channel, 192 kbps, 48 KHz.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

T.J.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Either your player does generally dislike -R discs or something is
not liking your media. I would try a different media brand or +R
if you can. How old is your DVD player?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #3
Wrangler

I had the same thing happen yesterday--with two dvd players. Although I've got something else going on (Nero gave me two warnings but I burned anyway), when I burned another disc at a really slow speed I got it to play on a set player.

If you've got a pile of -R discs you'd rather not throw away, maybe try that as a temporary fix? But Rob is right; players, especially older ones, can be quite picky about brands. If yours is a little older I'd stay far away from +R, but then that's just been my experience.
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #4
Trustee

What media (brand)? The media may be your issue here. The Cyberhome should play it, so it probably is the media in this instance.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 04:00 PM   #5
Major Player

DVD brands

I'll pick up some Memorex or TDK discs on the way home and see if switching brands makes a difference. RIght now, when I pop in a Ritek 4x -R, the players spin the disc and display a "Loading..." message until I eject the disc. Sometimes the Philips will say "No disc" after a minute.

I suspect a software problem because my 2002 Philips machine DOES play my Imation -RW media, but stopped only recently after I installed Ulead's Service Pack 2 for MediaStudio Pro 7. My system's become a steaming pile of crap since I "upgraded." I tried reverting back to version 7.01, but Windows doesn't let me install Service Pack 1 without a bunch of memory errors. Seems my only option is to reformat my hard drive and a start from scratch. Any other suggestions, aside from purchase better software?
Old November 15th, 2004, 04:18 PM   #6
Trustee

A 2002 Phillips may not support anything but RW and +R media. Try www.videohelp.com and look at their compatibility list. 4x Ritek should be OK. Strange. Who's burner?
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #7
Warden

I think Phillips was a big backer (one of the originators?) of the +R format.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 05:31 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Ensure that your disks have both and AUDIO_TS and a VIDEO_TS
directory, even though the AUDIO_TS may be empty. I've found
a number of compatibility issues have been solved by this, though they were on the PC side.

A number of standalone DVD players have rejected my -RW discs when I tried them out on just about every player at GoodGuys and Circuit City. Though, other than an early Sony DVD player, I have never run into a DVD player that rejects DVD-R.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 03:00 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi,

I had an exciting discovery a few days ago. I've burned like a 100 DVD-R video DVD:s. Most of them plays just fine on my stand alone DVD player. BUT when I try to copy them again on the computer - I get massive CRC32 errors ( tried 3 different computer DVD readers ).

Then I did a quality check in NERO(CD-DVD Speed) and my DVD-R medias was really BAD - especially at the end ( lets say the last 20 minutes ). So I switched to DVD+R Verbatim and after that I haven't had any problems at all - neither in my stand alone player nor in my computer.

Did a google on "DVD-R problems reading the end" got quite many results. ... And after some digging a found a notice on Pioneers homepage that said "there are known problems for highpspeed DVD-R medias" - and highspeed was everything not 1x.

So now I have like 100 movies that I can watch - but not share with my friends.

// Lazze \\
Lars Siden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 06:17 AM   #10
RED Code Chef

I did a few burns recently with Imation (ricoh) which always went
fine. I've tried some Sony's, also okay. Last week I got a couple
of TDK's and I've been having muchos trouble reading those DVD's
and nero already failed a verify round on two discs (data DVD).

All discs are +R (since that is the only thing my burner burns).

Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #11
Regular Crew

It may be your burner. I have had similar problems with a
BTC 1008M. I found a comment on www.videohelp.com that indicated a problem with this burner with DVDs burned above 2x speed. I burned disks at 2x (rather than 4x ) and that seemed to solve the problem. I was burning DVD-R disks.

You can do a search on videohelp.com for your particular burner and see what, if any, problems others are having...also recommendations on which media works well with your burner.

Tommy
www.txactor.com
Thomas Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #12
Major Player

Problem solved

First, thank you all for your responses. I'm sure this problem will rear its ugly head for someone, so maybe this thread will be of help to them.

Another post in anothe forum gave me an idea. The problem videos were encoded at 8000 kbps VBR. When I re-encoded at 6000 kbps VBR, the problem was solved for my -R Ritek 4x media. Lucklily, I had made only four or five coasters before fixing the problem. Oddly enough, the same 6000 kbps VBR movie wouldn't play from the imation -RW. I hope that will change when I upgrade my burner (Lite-On LDW-451s) firmware.

When experimenting with DVD menus, etc., I like to make test burns on -RW media before burning multiple copies on DVD-R. Encoding <6000 kbps isn't worthwhile, IMO.
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #13
Trustee

the dvd spec is for a max total bitrate of ~9800+kbps(?).

if a dvd player can't handle that bitrate, it is defective.

if the media causes problems at that bitrate, it should be replaced with another brand.

what i do is set the max video vbr at ~8800, but the average total(video and audio) vbr is sized to fit the length of the production, or ~6000 if space isn't an issue.

even if you set the average bitrate at 8800, it still should have worked, depending on what the peak vbr was set at.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 04:11 AM   #14
RED Code Chef

The 9.8 mbps number is for the VIDEO track only, the total rate
(with audio and subtitles etc.) is higher. Although I agree with
Dan all players should support the bitrate and all burners should
work it just isn't that simple unfortunately. As I said, I bought TDK
(which I would not expect to make bad discs) and it didn't work
great at all. If a player has problems reading discs it will not be
able to sustain the high bitrates ofcourse.

Unfortunately compatability is still far away, the best suggestion
indeed is to try different media and see what happens.

Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring