DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   24p Dvd (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/35403-24p-dvd.html)

William LiPera November 23rd, 2004 10:59 PM

24p Dvd

This is quoted from dvfilm (and it's converting software):

"Making 24P (progressive-scan) DVD's with DVFilm Maker

Maker is an essential part of making progressive-scan DVD's from your DVX100 camera. Progressive-scan DVD's will playback more smoothly than NTSC DVD's from 24P material (assuming you have a progressive-scan DVD player and a progressive-scan TV set), and will take up less space on the DVD allowing for higher-quality encoding or longer shows. The number one thing to remember is to always shoot 24P Advanced mode and use DVFilm Maker to process your clips before editing. The rest of the process is as follows:

Mac Platform: Edit your project with Final Cut Pro at 23.976 frames/sec. Export an MPEG2 at 23.976P. Or export a 23.976P Quicktime and use BitVice to encode to MPEG2. Use MPEG Telecine to modify the MPEG file flags so that it will play back with a 3:2 pulldown on standard televisions. Use DVD-SP to record the file to your DVD superdrive.

Windows Platform: Edit your project with Adobe Premiere at 24.000 frames/sec and 48048 Hz audio. Export a 24.000P Quicktime using the DV-NTSC codec, also with 48048 Hz audio. Convert the 24.000 fps Quicktime to 23.976P using DVFilm Mutate. Create a 23.976P MPEG2 file using TMPGEnc. which permits encoding at 23.976P with 3:2 pulldown flags. Burn the MPEG2 file using the DVD software that came with your drive.

The resulting DVD will play back on any NTSC DVD player and TV set using a 3:2 pulldown. However if it is played on a computer/LCD projector or a 24P-capable DVD player and a 24P-capable HDTV set, it will be displayed at 24 fps with no 3:2 pulldown, just as it would appear in a movie theater."

My ongoing question: is there a 24P capable progressive dvd player and a 24p capable HDTV set that will play without 3:2 pulldown? HELP PLEASE.

Rob Lohman November 24th, 2004 06:22 AM

William: I've moved your thread to the correct forum. I do know
for sure the equipment you seek is out there, however I don't
know from the top of my mind what supports it.

I hope someone else will have a better answer for you. Good luck!

Graeme Nattress November 24th, 2004 07:58 PM

I obviously use my own sfotware to convert from 60i to 24p, but it works great. You get higher quality as you're compressing less frames per second. On the mac, compressor also works great for making a 24p DVD, although you must follow the advice on pages 45 and 90 of the DVD Studio Pro manual.

As for playback, Any progressive TV, projector, Plasma, LCD should have pulldown removal - I know my projector does, which will get you back to the 24p. As for progressive output on a DVD player - a lot have it now.

Graeme

Roger Andersson March 2nd, 2005 09:07 PM

Re: 24p Dvd

<<<-- Originally posted by William LiPera : This is quoted from dvfilm (and it's converting software):

"
Mac Platform: Edit your project with Final Cut Pro at 23.976 frames/sec. Export an MPEG2 at 23.976P. Or export a 23.976P Quicktime and use BitVice to encode to MPEG2. Use MPEG Telecine to modify the MPEG file flags so that it will play back with a 3:2 pulldown on standard televisions. Use DVD-SP to record the file to your DVD superdrive."
-->>>

For BitVice users this text may be somewhat misleading. You don't need to run MPEG Telecine after encoding 23.976P files with BitVice, since it would already have fixed 3:2 pulldown flags for you.

So I have suggested the author to change it slightly, like this.

Mac Platform: Edit your project with Final Cut Pro at 23.976 frames/sec. Export an MPEG2 at 23.976P. Use MPEG Telecine to modify the MPEG file flags so that it will play back with a 3:2 pulldown on standard televisions. Or export a 23.976P Quicktime and use BitVice to encode to MPEG2 with 3:2 pulldown flags set. Use DVD-SP to record the file to your DVD superdrive.