Number Of Menus On Dvd Studio Pro 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old November 26th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Number Of Menus On Dvd Studio Pro 3

HI there:
I'm doing a wedding vendors catalog on DVD with multiple categories. I'm doing it with iDVD4 and it looked great but... it happens that with iDVD I can only add 12 links per page, and up to a total of 99 links (menus or buttons or clips), so I ran out of menu capabilities very fast and I think I'm gonna need somewhere around 300 or 400 links.
Will DVD Studio Pro 3 be able to handle it?
How many links can be used in DVDSP3?

The menus I'm talking about are not necesarilly motion menus, are basically photoshop files with texts (as buttons). So I don't think it is very memory consuming. When a specific vendor pays for a video to run, then in that case a track would play, but it is basically a still directory.

Please reply, I need to start selling the advertisement to the possible vendors, but I need to know about the capacity of the authoring software.

-EDWIN
Edwin Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Yeah you can have 1000's of menus in theory. 300-400 menus should be ok but depending on your system things may slow down a bit.

As far as buttons go there are spec limits depending on the aspect ration etc. If you are using 4:3 then you can have 36 buttons per menu.

HTH

Jake
Jake Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

JAKE: Thanks.
So, I must go and buy the DVD STUDIO PRO 3 for sure.

This is a really simple design, but a potentially proffitable project.
Of course, as long as I get experience and training I will be able to add even more features as new projects are conceived.

Aspect ratio is 4:3

Thanks,
EDWIN
Edwin Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 06:05 PM   #4
Major Player

My only comment would be to ask if you really want to do this as a DVD or a DVD ROM. The interface and screen real estate you are dealing with on a video are so small that having a user click through multiple levels and tons of links with a remote might be more discouraging than anything else. You could have a lot more flexibility in presentation if you just did an HTML/Flash front end to your video files... Just a thought from someone that hates DVD menus and remotes as input devices...
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring