dvd play through firewire to monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old November 27th, 2004, 10:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

dvd play through firewire to monitor

Hi there,
I am attempting to copy a dvd (mine, a project, the FCP files for which have long been discarded). The project also exists on Beta SP, but I do not any longer have a deck for this format and I live in the wilds of the rural West where such things are not easily borrowed or rented. Additionally, I have purchased a JVC deck for just such copying, and as my luck would have it, the dubbing direction from dvd to VHS is incapacitated and the deck is being returned.
In any case, I thought that there should be a way to route the signal through my Powerbook G4 to my record deck via firewire or at least analog-out to a vhs record deck. I seem to be able to capture analog audio (in stereo) but no video signal. And, I have no clue as to whatever procedure may exist to use the firewire ports for this. I've tried both "S" cables and RCA adaptation of these for the signal out of the Mac.
Any ideas?
(By the way, I searched this forum and came up with "pc cards" and "old Panasonic switchers-as-relays" for this, none of which seems either appropriate or cost effective in time or money as I can certainly wait for my JVC "copy machine" to return).
Is there a way with my Mac?
Frank Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2004, 11:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Yeah, your PowerBook should output the S-Video and the headphone jack to your VHS no problem. Are you not getting a signal? Make sure you have your monitors set to Mirror...
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2004, 11:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Mark,
Yep, did all of this but still no through video signal. I will note that all of the systems I'm using - the dv deck (BRDV300U), the monitors, (both Sony) work fabulously of all of my editing and print-to-video uses. In fact, I have this stuff wired through to the vhs decks (and their own B/W monitors) for the purpose of running vhs copies for clients contiguously with my dv output, saving me additional record time. All of this, of course, is through FCP, firewire and the above JVC deck. No problems ever with this. But, the seemingly simple task (now more of an intellectual challenge) of running my dvd through to the vhs decks (again, through the JVC dv deck) has stumped me. It seems so simple.
Old November 28th, 2004, 03:26 PM   #4
Major Player

The issue is that your DVD player IS NOT able to output to FireWire unless you get a special piece of software. Are you able to get an audio feed through FireWire by simply playing the DVD using Apple's DVD Player?

If the S-Video option isn't working, try the RCA plug instead. Are you getting no signal at all? Or just a black screen? Have you tried hooking your laptop up to a Monitor directly first to see if it works at all?

If you want to rip the files off your DVD try:
http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html
Old November 30th, 2004, 10:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Mark
Thanks for your sage advice. Once again, I was not as clear as I should have been...I can certainly get both RCA and S-video to "work" in the analog world...but I was hoping to route the DVD signals in the digital world via firewire to the JVC deck. That way I have a DVCpro copy.
I see that your link for this requires some upgrades I have put off. If it ain't broke... anyway, as I move to the FCP 4 plus, then I'll be better prepared for the faster, more "controllable" digital highway.
Again, thanks.
Old December 1st, 2004, 12:20 AM   #6
Major Player

Well, if your JVC deck does analog<->digital conversion you could hook up those analog outputs on your Powerbook to the deck and record away... but it won't be great. Using the ripper I pointed out will get you your files without degrading the video.
Old December 25th, 2004, 10:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Happy holidays folks!
Mark or Jeff or another board guru:
A further quest to fight the windmills of technology...can I "save," or copy, (I presume with disk copy or some other utility), the contents of my dvd to an external drive, then copy it back to digital tape or burn another dvd via my firewire highway? This, for the record, on a G4 powerbook with plenty of external drives. If so, what's the drill?
Thanks for your time.
Old December 27th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Yes. You caan make a copy of the DVD using the Disk Utilitty in your Utilities folder (inside applications folder).
Insert the DVD
Use Disk utility to create an image
Use Burn to create a DVD from the disk image.

You'll only need 4.7GB oof space to hold the image.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring